Rooster is scared of me. Tips to make him love me?

My 4 month old rooster Reebok is afraid of me as well. All the hens are super friendly.. even invasive of my personal space but he will run from me... frantically. He's eaten from my hand once

Help

'Friendly' cockerels often develop into human aggressive adults, in my experience. I don't look for hysterical terror, but healthy respect. I want the cockerels and cock birds to move away from me, and stay out of my space. When I move through my flock, they need ot notice where I am and move away. I don't hand feed cockerels, and expect polite behavior at all times. Human aggression is genetic, and learned, and I have zero tolerance. Let him worry about his flock, and not want to interact with me. He has a job to do, and it really doesn't involve me. Mary

It disheartens me that whenever someone comes here asking for help with a problem rooster, so many people advocate keeping the roo afraid of you or if the rooster is aggressive, to whack it with a broom or slaughter it. This kind of advice, in my opinion, is misguided and just shows that a great many people are afraid of roosters.

Roosters do what they do for good reasons. When you can understand why they do what they do, then you can start to work on changing that behavior. Too many folks, even here where we're all mostly nuts about chickens, underestimate the intelligence of these critters. They're every bit as trainable as a dog or a cat.

Go here and be enlightened. http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/006-how-to-deal-with-skittish-chickens.html

I've
had wonderful success with my two problem roos following these training methods.

I advocate wacking an aggressive rooster to death with a broom handle in many cases. All cases where small children are involved.
It has nothing to do with being scared of them. It has everything to do with looking out for the safety of a child.. I'm a realist and know the damage and injuries they can cause.
Imo a chicken is no where near as trainable as a dog. And athough I believe some may be turned around I believe most will not be or at least not for the long term. I'm usually not one to give up on a pet but with roosters the thing is that there are so many good roosters out there that will be slaughtered for the lack of a home then why worry with fixing a bad one when there's good ones out there in need?
I agree there is so much conflicting info out there about roosters and what makes me cringe is every time someone comes on here with an aggressive rooster issue and especially when kids are involved that some want to suggest keeping the rooster and working with it.
It disheartens me to think that in a day, a week or a month later that some child may end up losing an eye because someone was persuaded to keep the nasty rooster when it should of been removed immediately.
Just my opinion.

I like for my roos to give me a wide berth...I want them to think of me as the top-bird, and I am not to be crossed.

18 month old roo....so far so good.
My rooster's also very scared of me, the hens eat out of my hand, but he's too scared to try it, even when I just sit and drop my hand with snacks in it, he only comes for them when iM gone

Back
Top Bottom