Rooster is scared of me. Tips to make him love me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Apr 10, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hello I go a new rooster yesterday, hes a serema. Hes nice doesnt attack hes just super skitish (sp?)... if I put him the the ground ill never catch him! Any tips... I am cooking some treats for him like corn, rice, veggies etc...

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If he were a big, bad boy, I'd say congratulations on him being afraid of you and reinforce that fear, but since he's a little guy, treats and time and I bet he'll come around.

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:oh ok. Well im hoping he comes around.... Im playing on getting him some girlfriends his size [​IMG]

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I wish I could get my roo to be scared of me! I'd much rather have a skittish roo than an aggressive one. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try and get too friendly with him. Once he overcomes his fear, he may become dominant and mean like many roos. I'd be happy with what you have now!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's in a new environment and will take some time to warm up to you. As others have said a little bit of fear of humans in the hearts of roosters is not such a bad thing.[​IMG]

6. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I like for my roos to give me a wide berth...I want them to think of me as the top-bird, and I am not to be crossed.

18 month old roo....so far so good.

Ursuline Chick likes this.
  7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It disheartens me that whenever someone comes here asking for help with a problem rooster, so many people advocate keeping the roo afraid of you or if the rooster is aggressive, to whack it with a broom or slaughter it. This kind of advice, in my opinion, is misguided and just shows that a great many people are afraid of roosters.

Roosters do what they do for good reasons. When you can understand why they do what they do, then you can start to work on changing that behavior. Too many folks, even here where we're all mostly nuts about chickens, underestimate the intelligence of these critters. They're every bit as trainable as a dog or a cat.

Go here and be enlightened. http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/006-how-to-deal-with-skittish-chickens.html

I've
    had wonderful success with my two problem roos following these training methods.

Ursuline Chick likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Strange? I don't see anyone advocating whacking or slaughtering on this thread. [​IMG]

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I knew something was off.....

10. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    He's not referring to this thread, but to many other ones.

I recommend reading his link, he's not crazy, he's OK, and knows about roosters.

My roosters know not to attack me, firstly, I'm nice, and secondly, I'll put a sock on their head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by