Rooster is scared of me. Tips to make him love me?

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Hello I go a new rooster yesterday, hes a serema. Hes nice doesnt attack hes just super skitish (sp?)... if I put him the the ground ill never catch him! Any tips... I am cooking some treats for him like corn, rice, veggies etc...

If he were a big, bad boy, I'd say congratulations on him being afraid of you and reinforce that fear, but since he's a little guy, treats and time and I bet he'll come around.

Quote:
oh ok. Well im hoping he comes around.... Im playing on getting him some girlfriends his size
big_smile.png

I wish I could get my roo to be scared of me! I'd much rather have a skittish roo than an aggressive one. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try and get too friendly with him. Once he overcomes his fear, he may become dominant and mean like many roos. I'd be happy with what you have now!

He's in a new environment and will take some time to warm up to you. As others have said a little bit of fear of humans in the hearts of roosters is not such a bad thing.
lol.png

It disheartens me that whenever someone comes here asking for help with a problem rooster, so many people advocate keeping the roo afraid of you or if the rooster is aggressive, to whack it with a broom or slaughter it. This kind of advice, in my opinion, is misguided and just shows that a great many people are afraid of roosters.

Roosters do what they do for good reasons. When you can understand why they do what they do, then you can start to work on changing that behavior. Too many folks, even here where we're all mostly nuts about chickens, underestimate the intelligence of these critters. They're every bit as trainable as a dog or a cat.

Go here and be enlightened. http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/006-how-to-deal-with-skittish-chickens.html

I've
had wonderful success with my two problem roos following these training methods.

He's not referring to this thread, but to many other ones.

I recommend reading his link, he's not crazy, he's OK, and knows about roosters.

My roosters know not to attack me, firstly, I'm nice, and secondly, I'll put a sock on their head.

Back
Top Bottom