Rooster is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindaLooHoo, Oct 27, 2014.

1. LindaLooHoo

LindaLooHoo New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    My rooster is about 5 years old. About two months, I added worming liquid to their drinking water for a week. He had just started molting so I thought his runny diarraha was due to either worming or molting. Not so... as it's been another month and he is too weak to climb on his roost at night, but rather just lays in the laying boxes near the bottom of the coop. The diarraha is cronic, and he moans before passing each time. He eats just fine... drinks plenty of fluid, but getting weaker and weaker. WHAT can I do? I started putting an antibiotic in the water a few days ago and will continue for a week, but don't know what more to do. HELP

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What dewormer did you use? Not all dewormers get all worms or work effectively.

Check him for lice and mites. They can cause a bird to become weak and pale.

3. mypetchickens10

mypetchickens10 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    You can also but paracetamol and a tiny cup of sugar in the
    water and give it to him this helps my chickens from problems
    also make sure your giving him the right nutrients and protein
    in his food
    hopes he gets better soon

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Separate him from the others, if you haven't already. Keep him warm and well fed. If there is a veterinarian that sees chickens in your area, possibly take him there, but not to a farm animal vet., one that will treat him as a pet. Hope he gets well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by