At one year old is this new problem or has he always been 'too' active?

Adding more girls is not always the solution.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
Hello aart, no not a really new problem, it has been starting since 3-4 months ago.

Hi! How are things now? Just wondering as I’m in the same situation and Mr. EE rooster needs to go as even though I have 39 hens for him, he is destroying several of them and my girls are hiding.

Hi! How are things now? Just wondering as I’m in the same situation and Mr. EE rooster needs to go as even though I have 39 hens for him, he is destroying several of them and my girls are hiding.
Hello Kirmi8, things are going okay now. I separated them and he is getting better. But I'm still separating the hens from the rooster. I usually separate them starting at 5 pm because that's when he starts to mate a lot so usually throughout the day like from 7am-4pm he does perfectly fine with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom