Rooster Issue

I technically have 13 more babies — BUT 7 of them were hatched by broodys so not sure whether they are pullets or not yet. The others I bought, so I know they are pullets. Plus 3 unknown bantams on top of those, that someone dropped off in a local park that I rescued.

I’m hoping having quite a few more girls will help. :p

I technically have 13 more babies — BUT 7 of them were hatched by broodys so not sure whether they are pullets or not yet. The others I bought, so I know they are pullets. Plus 3 unknown bantams on top of those, that someone dropped off in a local park that I rescued.

I’m hoping having quite a few more girls will help. :p
I shouldn't count on getting more hens as a solution. Roosters tend to have their favorites and that is who they will mate with most.
To give the hens with the worst feather loss a break you could confine them to a run for a week or two and still have your rooster out protecting the flock as they free range.

With hot weather coming you will have to protect the hens against sunburn. They all need to be wearing saddles if their feathers are gone. I love roosters and often have quite a few of them here. But there comes a time when you have to do what's best for your hens. In my opinion he is too big to be good for your girls. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom