Rooster issues

allison51207

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2017
So we have noticed that a few of our hens are missing feathers from there backs and there combs are missing big chunks,so while I was out there feeding them I noticed that my Rooster is standing on them ,right wear he puts his feet is wear there feathers are missing not only that 2 of my are raw from it, I don't want to have to get rid of my Rooster already got rid of one but I can't stand by while he abuses these poor girls and it's only 3 that he's doing it too, please help I'm not sure if I should get rid of birds or wait see if he stops just afraid they will get infection or attacked by other hens

He's not abusing them, he's mating them. It happens all the time. How old are your birds? Is he a young, ambitious cockerel (rooster under a year old)? Or is he a mature rooster? If he's young, you may want to consider separating him from your girls for a bit until he matures.

Try to set some chicken saddles for your girls to wear. This will protect their backs during mating and help avoid sunburn in the exposed areas. I use 'Hen Saver' brand and they are $8 to $11 last time I bought them. Well worth the money because they can be used over and over for years. Get the detachable type that covers their shoulders. ;)

Back
Top Bottom