Rooster Jumps on my shoulder for no reason!! What does this mean!

I feel like an idiot but I never considered this. We had a hen who would get on my shoulder all the time. She never once pecked my eyes, but she would peck at a freckle and it hurt. Haha.

A few of our chicks fly up on us now when we sit in the coop. I’ll be sure to remember to keep this batch off my shoulder. I really enjoyed having the hen that would do it, but it’s not worth the risk I don’t guess

Anytime an animal gets in your personal space, and you don't like it, you should take measures to manage the animal and ensure your own safety.

That said, some chickens, regardless of status in pecking order, like to perch. Perching on shoulder is not necessarily an aggressive issue, a dominance issue, nor a behavioral issue. My most aggressive dominate hens do not like to perch nor be up high. The worst hen I've ever had (a rescue who used to attack small children and drew blood with feet and beak) would never attempt to 'get above' me or other chickens - same for my worst rooster- to demonstrate dominance. Some of my sweetest non-dominate chickens like to ride on my arm and sit in my lap when I spend time with them.

I honestly suggest spending observation time with your birds daily to figure out what they are doing. It doesn't take long to get to know your individual bird.

I let my silkie rooster sit on my shoulder, never has been aggressive with me except maybe some light affectionate pecks or if I pick up his silkie wife and she screams he’ll peck me to tell me to put her down. Best friends he comes everywhere I go always following behind, I see nothing wrong with it if the chicken is nice. He doesn’t peck my eyes or face as he knows better, only curious young ones or aggressive birds will.

I let very young birds on my shoulders when it's cold outside. I figure it gives them a few minutes to warm their feet back up and it's getting them used to being interacted with.

Occasionally I have a grown bird use me as a roost. Usually that ends in them being plucked off and held and pet, but certain individuals I allow to stay so long as they can balance while I continue to feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom