Rooster just tried to attack 3 yo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    TRIED. I could sense he was going to try something - 3 yo was standing in front of run door, rooster was inside wanting out. He lept at her, I kicked him before he did anything to her. (Thank God, she's not mine.) He went down in a "so yah wanna fight?" mode - which he has NEVER done before when I've kicked him. (When he flaps and puffs at me.) He usually runs away and tries to look small. (Which is hard for a 9+ pound buff orpington.) He flew at me, I kicked him again. In the head. Whoops. He didn't come at me again, but I kicked him again for good measure. He was done with the fight, but I wasn't. No sir. I chased him around the yard for a good couple minutes, all the while he got smaller and smaller until he looked like a leghorn. 3 yo didn't know what happened, just laughed at me because I looked ridiculous chasing a chicken. I don't really know what I am asking, because I already know what ya'll are going to say, because I've given the advice before - cull him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. ClewisOK

ClewisOK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    Mustang, OK
    Well, as a momma of a toddler, thanks for keeping an eye out and saving your little visitor!

1 person likes this.
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree you answered your own question. If the child is a regular at your place, or any other child, and the rooster is not penned....better off without him. Small kids and roosters are just not a good match.

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

5. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Roosters are naturally like that. Anything that seems a threat to them, is a threat, and they are going to try to fight it. I had a rooster who attacked me when I got five feet away from him. I kept him around, but he got taken by a fox a almost half a year ago. They are good if you are free ranging your flock to provide protection, but they can be nasty. You definitely did the right thing by giving him a kick. I guess it's your choice on what to do with him next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by