Rooster just tried to mate with the other rooster

Mounting isn't always about sex/mating, it's about dominance.
They are becoming sexually mature and are going to start asserting themselves with each other and the pullets.
You'll need to decide which, if either, cockerel you want to keep as 2 can be trouble.

umm thats a hen my hens have tails like that and i KNOW they are hens because they lay eggs. sorry bunt SHE IS NOT A ROO looks like a golden comet. (like 2 of mine)

I agree with the earlier posts. I am pretty sure Edith is a cockerel. He has pointed saddle feathers coming in, hackle feathers at his neck, and the uneven colouring on his wings that would indicate 'boy'.

He looks like a BO, or a BO mix to me.

Why he is being mounted, I am not sure. It may be a dominance thing as indicated by Aart. And whilst I agree with Chikkenfriend that this is not common, I have heard that it does happen occasionally.

To Lazy Gardener - your 'coffee can' post made me laugh. I used to have a dog who was 'in love' with a bucket, so I am not 100% surprised!
lau.gif

A wonderful day to you all,

- Krista

well the only way to truly see, IS TO WAIT AND SEE if she/he lays eggs and anyway if it is a rooster and they did "mate" then it was a strange form of doninince or it could have been a young rooster mistake

Back
Top Bottom