Rooster: keep or no?

macmac955

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I have an EE cockerel and recently he’s breed trying to mate my hens a lot. I have 5 Orpington pullets and 1 EE pullet. Is that enough as a hen-to-roo ratio?

I have an EE cockerel and recently he’s breed trying to mate my hens a lot. I have 5 Orpington pullets and 1 EE pullet. Is that enough as a hen-to-roo ratio?
It could be, it could not be. It depends on how he is once the hormones slowdown. For now, I would seperare him if possible, somewhere he can see but not mount the girls. He will be mature far before they are and can cause them a lot of stress if there are not any older birds to train him

I have the same situation, EE cockerel, 2 EE pullets and 5 barred rock pullets. Mine are just about 19 weeks old and the cockerel has been mating the barred rocks for a few weeks now, the EE pullets still run from the cockerel. My cockerel has been mating but would not say alot, maybe see it 3 or 4 times a day, not sure what I dont see.

Chickens are highly promiscuous, and roosters most of all. The average rooster mates 10-30 times a day

5 hens for 1 rooster may be enough depending on the type of Easter Egger. I would just keep an eye on the hens to make sure there's no excessive damage anywhere

If the hens ever look particularly roughed up or act injured then you likely need more hens to spread the love around more

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?

Number ratio's are really accurate.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?

Number ratio's are really accurate.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
My cockerel and ee pullet are 18 weeks and my Orpingtons are 21 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom