rooster keeping

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
roosters are great, but what about them crowing at night, or early in the morning? you may ask.. Here's what I do... I have a night time sleepy box for my rooster. it is a big 2'x2.5' wooden box with air holes. in that box I have a smaller box, like a nesting box the roo has to lie down in and cannot stretch his neck to crow. then in between the boxes I line it with egg cartons. and I put him in a corner of the coop up against other lay boxes. he is quiet as a mouse till I wake in the morning to let him out. The rooster is "open" for business from 8:00 til 6:00 while my neighbors are at work.

And I thank goodness every day that I live somewhere that I don't have to worry about whether my neighbors hear my rooster crowing, even if they could hear him over the cows bawling, the geese raising Cain and my O-M-Gee, does she ever shut up, oh-so-loud call hen; who now has two daughters that are every bit as loud as she is.
wink.png

I have a rooster night box as well. It is a container which I lined with medium density foam on the floor, lid and sides. We drilled air holes into it. Our neighbours cannot hear a thing, and neither can we!

Back
Top Bottom