Rooster keeps head down

This experience has made me very aware that there are so many possible health problems with hens and I'm not informed enough about them. When a hen is poorly, it's important to know what it is as soon as possible in order to get treatment started. Just like with kids - if your child has a fever, you don't spend days trying to figure out what it is before you treat them; you treat asap to prevent complications.

I'm on the forum at the minute trying to learn more about what could go wrong so that I don't have to let any of my "babies" suffer any longer than necessary. Raising hens is fun and rewarding - but a big responsibility too!

RIP Chico! Tried feeding our Chico with yogurt and bread soaked in water which he ate a little of. Finally took him to the vet 3 days after my initial concern and they thought that the mites could have gotten into the brain and nervous system. In case it was an injury they gave him an anti-inflammatory and painkiller which should have perked him up after a few hours - it didn't. In fact by this morning he was having difficulty standing and still no change to his neck. The vet didn't think it was viral as virus infections usually kill poultry within in 2 days and would go through the flock; none of the other chickens seems affected. I'm still not convinced that it isn't viral and am keeping a close on the rest of the flock.

I was pleased with myself that I could pull Chico's neck to relieve him of his misery. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be once I realised that he wasn't going to recover. The worst part though been my 10 year old's reaction to having to put Chico down. He is angry at me for having to do it and won't let me comfort him. My hubby is away until tomorrow night so he is a bit on his own getting through this. In time he'll understand that killing him was the right thing to do but that could take awhile. Sigh!!!!
I feel like I am staring down the same gun barrel. went out this morning and my roo (24 wks old) had his head down almost between his legs. I picked him up and sat with him. he would drink any water but he ate scrambled eggs without a problem. A shadow flew over and everybody gets excited as did he, I put him down and he just stood there with his head down. no physical injuries. the other 8 don't seem to be affected. It Mowhawk my gr. daughters bird. she lives with me. we just lost her gr dad and her dog in Dec. now the chickens. this is a harsh world when you are 13. thanks for your insight. My heart is sad for your loss, I wish I had the nerve. God hates me already for my choices, what's one more? living in the woods has its price. I better put him in a cage. the girls are poking fun at him. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom