Rooster- Lethargic, flopping comb turning purple, tail down

MTrudelle

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
My Rooster (approx 2 yrs old) seemed completely fine yesterday, but today I went in at feed time and he was laying in a nesting box. Which is very strange behaviour for him. I took him out, and immediately noticed his comb has flopped over and has a section turning purple. He has his eyes closed a lot of seems unsteady and slow when walking. I’ve given him electrolytes via syringe, and done an inspection. I saw a small amount of either lice or mites on him under his wings. No visible injuries. I inspected another of my chickens and clearly saw bugs (mites or lice-I’m not sure, by her vent) Chickens have all been dewormed with safeguard last week.
Thoughts? I’m short on funds until Friday, but I have Neem oil, diotomaceous earth, and safers insecticidal soap on hand. I have isolated my guy, and need to formulate a plan of action
Thanks in advance!

Attached photos of bugs near vent are of my chicken, not rooster

Attachments

• D0B94A7C-FA45-444A-9BAA-50003706F922.jpeg
    D0B94A7C-FA45-444A-9BAA-50003706F922.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 7E30B9E7-097B-4E3B-B2B4-E64DEA436F87.jpeg
    7E30B9E7-097B-4E3B-B2B4-E64DEA436F87.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 5610637E-B1DC-41EE-B81D-7F14CC7B9F67.jpeg
    5610637E-B1DC-41EE-B81D-7F14CC7B9F67.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 13
I took him out, and immediately noticed his comb has flopped over and has a section turning purple. He has his eyes closed a lot of seems unsteady and slow when walking. I’ve given him electrolytes via syringe, and done an inspection.
Sorry he is clearly unwell. :(

Did you get a feel of his crop during inspection? Was it full and squishy, flat and empty, maybe just normal?

Did he molt yet?

What is his regular feed routine including treats and supplements?

Any wheezing sound when breathing?

Sorry he is clearly unwell. :(

Did you get a feel of his crop during inspection? Was it full and squishy, flat and empty, maybe just normal?

Did he molt yet?

What is his regular feed routine including treats and supplements?

Any wheezing sound when breathing?
Thanks for the reply! I’m pretty stressed and heartbroken. He is a super kind rooster and I adore him.
Yes I did feel his crop, it felt normal for a morning when he had not eaten yet. But this was late afternoon today so definitely he is not eating as he normally does.

Yes he has molted

Our regular feed routine is morning and afternoon 16% layer pellets mixed with black oil sunflower seeds, sometimes cracked corn as a treat, I sprinkle red chilli flakes in their feed a couple times a week, and bring out strawberry greens or squash for them every day or two. I change their water 2/3 times per day, and they free range dusk to dawn.

I did not hear a wheezing when he was breathing, but will definitely take a closer listen if he makes it through the night😭

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the reply! I’m pretty stressed and heartbroken. He is a super kind rooster and I adore him.
Yes I did feel his crop, it felt normal for a morning when he had not eaten yet. But this was late afternoon today so definitely he is not eating as he normally does.

Yes he has molted

Our regular feed routine is morning and afternoon 16% layer pellets mixed with black oil sunflower seeds, sometimes cracked corn as a treat, I sprinkle red chilli flakes in their feed a couple times a week, and bring out strawberry greens or squash for them every day or two. I change their water 2/3 times per day, and they free range dusk to dawn.

I did not hear a wheezing when he was breathing, but will definitely take a closer listen if he makes it through the night😭

What are your thoughts?
How much of the feed is sunflower seeds?
I'd cut way back on all the extras as they can dilute any nutrition their gutting and switch to an all flock feed as roosters as non laying birds should not eat layer long term. If the chili flakes are for worming, please note that they have no anthelmintic properties and can also block nutrition absorption.
Please don't use d.e around you or your birds, it's a respiratory irritant and will cause lung issues for you and long-term your birds.

That at least likely rules out any impacted, slow, or sour crop concerns.

Makes me wonder if there's any chance he got into something toxic the previous day.

The bugs seen are unlikely to have caused a sudden change like this.

IF genetically predisposed somehow then some birds may experience one or the other of two forms of nutrition related gout, possible kidney failure, and sudden death.. one caused by excess calcium fed long term to birds not in lay.. the other by way excess protein.

Excess low nutrient, high energy treats like cracked corn or scratch may also contribute to fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome (and sudden death).. again, in birds genetically predisposed. That's the part we can't predict.

Just as you value your fella and additionally the investment made in my flock is the reason I choose not to feed "layer".. but I am NOT insinuating that's your issue.. just discussing and looking at possibilities and clues.

If your funds allow and he is still holding on in the morning (and you also have a local tsc or other store).. I wound consider getting poultry nutri drench, which is patented for rapid absorption and doesn't require digestion to work but has valuable amino acids.

I do have to agree about the red chilli flakes.. noting that according to my understand and experience areas without capsaicin receptors can still be burnt..

ETA: I hope you get answers and recovers quickly! :fl

That at least likely rules out any impacted, slow, or sour crop concerns.

Makes me wonder if there's any chance he got into something toxic the previous day.

The bugs seen are unlikely to have caused a sudden change like this.

IF genetically predisposed somehow then some birds may experience one or the other of two forms of nutrition related gout, possible kidney failure, and sudden death.. one caused by excess calcium fed long term to birds not in lay.. the other by way excess protein.

Excess low nutrient, high energy treats like cracked corn or scratch may also contribute to fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome (and sudden death).. again, in birds genetically predisposed. That's the part we can't predict.

Just as you value your fella and additionally the investment made in my flock is the reason I choose not to feed "layer".. but I am NOT insinuating that's your issue.. just discussing and looking at possibilities and clues.

If your funds allow and he is still holding on in the morning (and you also have a local tsc or other store).. I wound consider getting poultry nutri drench, which is patented for rapid absorption and doesn't require digestion to work but has valuable amino acids.

I do have to agree about the red chilli flakes.. noting that according to my understand and experience areas without capsaicin receptors can still be burnt..

ETA: I hope you get answers and recovers quickly! :fl

Again thanks for the reply! If he got into something toxic, is there anything I can do for him?
I did deworm with safeguard paste last week, I used the normal guidelines for weight so I don’t see how that could have caused it but im searching for possibilities. He also gets into my compost pile (which should be okay) and we do have peacocks that roam our area flying in and out occasionally. I have no idea how to support him if he has a toxic ingestion?!

I do leave out oyster shells free choice once per week only about 1/2 cup for the whole flock to utilize. I have 50 birds including turkeys (4) and ducks(18) I leave it in the chicken coop, and he is my only roo, but the other birds do go in there more lately as it has been very rainy and they are seeking shelter.

I take no offense, I’ve only had my farm 2 years. So im open to hearing about why you don’t use layer pellets and what you use alternatively. I want the best for my flock, they are family to me! You can only do better when you know better, right?

My rooster also has similar symptoms. He was fine yesterday. But today he just suddenly look ill. Ive attached before and after pics.

Not sure what happened to him, but Im guessing he ingested something toxic.
For now, i just try to handfeed him and give him some activated charcoal. Hopefully it can absorb the toxin.

Attachments

• 8B8BCE93-C6EE-4D9A-9CDD-8739030E7690.jpeg
    8B8BCE93-C6EE-4D9A-9CDD-8739030E7690.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 7CE5E04A-95CD-4A53-81EE-E2BBF2EC866C.jpeg
    7CE5E04A-95CD-4A53-81EE-E2BBF2EC866C.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 9
My Rooster (approx 2 yrs old) seemed completely fine yesterday, but today I went in at feed time and he was laying in a nesting box. Which is very strange behaviour for him. I took him out, and immediately noticed his comb has flopped over and has a section turning purple. He has his eyes closed a lot of seems unsteady and slow when walking. I’ve given him electrolytes via syringe, and done an inspection. I saw a small amount of either lice or mites on him under his wings. No visible injuries. I inspected another of my chickens and clearly saw bugs (mites or lice-I’m not sure, by her vent) Chickens have all been dewormed with safeguard last week.
Thoughts? I’m short on funds until Friday, but I have Neem oil, diotomaceous earth, and safers insecticidal soap on hand. I have isolated my guy, and need to formulate a plan of action
Thanks in advance!

Attached photos of bugs near vent are of my chicken, not rooster
I don't have chickens, yet, but I did do a little digging on the purple comb for you, ( I was really curious myself) and it looks like it could be a circulation issue, dehydration or some kind of infection. I'm sure you did some digging yourself, but I thought I would try to help :) I hope he recovers.

Back
Top Bottom