Rooster loosing weight?

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
I am down to two (formerly 8) hens and a rooster. All the chickens seem to be dieing from different causes/exhibiting different symptoms.

The chickens stay in a chicken tractor which has been kept moving around a big tree in the shade for the summer, and I currently use hay as bedding. My last two hens seem fine. I have had all since march. They are allowed to free range the yard from 3 pm to dark since we had issues with laying in the yard.

We have noticed in recent months that Our Welsummer rooster has developed a strange crow (quieter and less frequent then ever before) and sometimes he makes a strange loud"wock wock" noise that we never heard before. Usually when he is separated from the two girls ...and doesn't seem to want to mate with the hens as often/ can be fended off from mating by hens easier. And even more recently we have noticed that he seems to have lost weight. Other than these things he seems to be behaving normally and passes all weekly health checks. Does anyone have any idea what if anything is happening to him?

Is it real hot? Maybe spray some water in their run on the hot days. Poultry dust? What are you feeding them?

They get layer crumbles oyster shell and grit free choice. And 3 gallons of water daily but they don't usually drink it all especially now that there is only 3. it is really freakin hot. today the heat index was 110 even though the temp was only 97. I put the poultry dust down each time I clean the coop... you think I should sprinkle the chickens with it? I have not noticed any signs of mites or lice in the weekly health checks.

Checked for mites/lice?

:Edit: Nevermind! We posted at the same time! No clue. Too hot?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Chickens can take some cold but heat can kill them. I'm wondering if some of yours got too hot this summer. One summer I lost two in one day. Now when it's going to be hot I spray their run down with water. I even mist them with the hose. Sometimes I think they even like it. Make sure they have at least some shade at all times. Makes sure they have good clean fresh water on the hot days. During the hot spells, they all tend to get a little weary looking. Hens stop laying, roosters don't look as vibrant. It probably wouldn't hurt to sprinkle a little poultry dust under the wings, behind the neck and tail/vent. Don't get any in their food, eyes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom