Rooster Losing Balance

I've observed that Cheeto won't really react when I put one hand under him and pick him up. However, if I put two hands on his sides/wings, he struggles and gasps.
Note: before this happened, I was able to pick Cheeto up with at most a few kicks of his legs. It was easy to approach him and catch him.

This very much sounds like reactions to an injury. He could have received wounds in the fight that did not heal properly and are now causing issues. Can you have radiographs taken?

This very much sounds like reactions to an injury. He could have received wounds in the fight that did not heal properly and are now causing issues. Can you have radiographs taken?
Probably not. I think I would probably have noticed if he had injuries like that, though. His only competition has been two cockerels that are still below him in the pecking order.

P_20191026_161120_vHDR_Auto.jpg
My poor guy. :(

Do you plan to get a necropsy done on Cheeto if he doesn’t make it? Sorry that he is losing weight. So many things could be the problem, but if he has Mareks, it would be good to know. Aspergillosis, a fungal infection might be another possibility. What all have you treated him for so far? Did you treat for coccidiosis? Here is a list of state vets to find out how to get a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Do you plan to get a necropsy done on Cheeto if he doesn’t make it? Sorry that he is losing weight. So many things could be the problem, but if he has Mareks, it would be good to know. Aspergillosis, a fungal infection might be another possibility. What all have you treated him for so far? Did you treat for coccidiosis? Here is a list of state vets to find out how to get a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I want to get one done. Not sure if I'll be able to. I haven't treated for coccidiosis. Is that something I should do?

Are any others having symptoms? If you call the state vet now, you could ask about prices for a backyard chicken for a basic necropsy. It helps to take the body in or send it soon after death.

Are any others having symptoms? If you call the state vet now, you could ask about prices for a backyard chicken for a basic necropsy. It helps to take the body in or send it soon after death.
No, not at all. One of my hens had a minor reproductive issue (she layed a couple soft-shelled eggs), and a cockerel was taken by a predator.
Ok, I'll try to do that.
Is he sitting with one leg forward?
View attachment 1951681
Most of the time he sits with both legs forward, unless one gets stuck under him.
In that image, though, I think that's a leaf.

Back
Top Bottom