Rooster lost his crow!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CochinBantams, Apr 28, 2011.

1. CochinBantams

CochinBantams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    My Bantam rooster was fine one day and the next day when he crowed it sounded like he was "hoarse" or lost his voice! Now I have noticed that he is making an odd sounds and I have noticed that he is maybe breathing with his peak open at times. Other than that he seems just fine. How can you really tell what treatment should be given? I did get a dropper and gave him some lemon juice, water and honey as a "tonic" (My husband had told me about this)...I hope it was OK to do this. I am a newbie and would appreciate any feedback or reference material. Thank you.

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Search gape worms.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:Yep- I would check for gapeworm. Swab his throat with a q-tip and look for little spots of blood. If you have multiple roos he could have crowed himself hoarse. But id check just to be sure......good luck!

4. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    If it's not gape worm or some other illness, find out what it is and patent it. [​IMG]

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Once my Polish Lucy, now Lou starts crowing I"ll def be buying into that if you have it to sell!

6. CochinBantams

Apr 19, 2011
    Will do...BTW my husband and I made a joke that he would be worth more money now! You can hardly hear him crow. I do have another rooster and they do "compete" in a crowing match:D

7. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. CochinBantams

Apr 19, 2011
    It is not gape worm as far as we can tell. I swabbed his throath twice and there was nothing there. The fuild was clear. There was a little clear mucus (sp), but very little. We have been giving him drops of lemon juice, honey and water to thin down. He sounded a little better the first day, the second day even a bit better and today; well lets just say he can't stop listening to himself crow! He has always had a deep wierd crow compared to our other rooster...but he is almost back to his old "Corky" self... He even has his "fog horn" alarm back which he just went into for about 5 minutes without any reason that I could tell...had all the hens, and chicks really nervous waiting for an attack of some kind [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by