Rooster makes for yummy dinner

All lower boys WILL take advantage of the "weaker" more docile females. You could have put an end to by a separation plan until an age you were comfortable to see them mating.

I saw 2 of my 8 week old boys copulate on their same age female flock mate. That didn't make it rape. Roosters don't have penises so at best it's assault. I moved them over to stag pen where they can assault each other instead. BTW, he would'a went after the other older hens if he had any chance with them... but they will defend themselves until he proves he is top dog above them. They will not submit the way a subordinate aged bird often will.

That being said... I TOTALLY get it!!! :barnie :mad: :smack :drool

My first year I had an outbreak of cockerels I wasn't yet prepared for the whole lot of them went after my most docile hen and took turns holding her down and just knocking each other off to get their turn, no actual fighting... just a gang bang. Every time they saw her they would come running from clear across the pasture. :hmm

NEVER, EVER have that problem again with a separation plan in place for ANY boys not meant to be actively breeding.

Also note... though they may not be gay... some of my boys mount and copulate each other as a sign of dominance, I believe.

And although we give the boys a ROOSTER badge at 1 year old... there seems to still be a LOT of maturing that takes place between then and 2. I am curious to see what age my mature and VERY good rooster will start trying to mate this years group of juveniles. See for me anytime prior too egg laying even of that is 20 weeks is too young. BUT the hormones are there and the animals sense things FAR before we do most of the time.

Anyways, we eat our extra boys too... especially those who give us reason with their behavior. But understanding that the animals' world and the human world don't operate on the same moral plain can help. There is nothing that stops cockerels from mating their dames (moms). But if that happened in humans... SOMEONE would be strung up!

Anyways, glad you have dealt with it. Chicken salad sounds delicious!
:goodpost: ex r.jpg

We always separate the cockerals when/if they become a problem. Some never have.

We have a bachelor group that gets grown out and heads to freezer camp. Last year DH2B built a plucker(finished it late fall) so that will make processing much quicker and easier. We've only used it once so far but what a wonderful help.

Any boys that will be kept for breeding get to cool down and then be schooled by the mature roosters before ever going into a breeding pen.

However we have very little tolerance to the breeding of juveniles/chicks.

Also yes it's a dominance thing when cockerals pin and breed each other.

Animals have sex, children will not be harmed by seeing or reading about it, now some parents may be a bit uncomfortable being asked questions about it....

Gary

In thinking back... maybe it was the A**hole that was the issue in the OP?? And not the word pedophile rooster...

And I feel like the word anthropomorphic (projecting human feeling onto an animal) might have been removed from my post... but it wouldn't be the first time something was directly in front of my eyes and well hidden somehow. :p

Seriously... is it against the rules to post about being moderated? :oops:

I do understand completely the need for moderation... just felt like those terms were important to the overall message or moral of the story. I love BYC and it being... YES, what I call a "safe and friendly, helpful community". Where we can discuss some difficult topics and try to do so in an UN enraging fashion. Sometimes our emotions do get the best of us! :mad: But so far... I haven't been told I can't call them Stew... Stew Pidasso. I always say the meaner the roo, the sweeter the stew (since I saw someone else and appreciated the idea). I just never knew how true it was until we ate Ditto and dumpling! :drool We name our boys and sometimes they go into the freezer with their name on. It helps to remember what breed bird it is and the flavor and texture aspect to see if it's something we will raise more of or not. But I also don't have kids who aren't comfortable and even still hurt by the concept or don't understand. But of course attitude has a LOT to do with that.... and we don't raise that breed anymore. We don't avoid naming our boys to help with disassociation... we know something dies for us to live. We are more conscious of our consumption now. :)

Back
Top Bottom