Rooster mating or being mean?

Quote:
Uh oh, time to look for some new homes for the boys or you will be sorry! If you have 6 boys that is going to make for some very unhappy girls. As for your rooster, that sounds like what happens when an inexperienced young man begins courtship. They end up backwards, sideways, all kinds of directions until they figure it out. i found that my boys would go after the most compliant hen (or the one who can't get away fast enough) over and over. Or i had one little hen with a bad leg. She got caught a LOT. Now i have no roosters and my girls are much happier.

Quote:
gig.gif

How do I know which rooster to keep? I do have one that seems to be the terror of the yard. He is the first one out of the coop & the chases all of the other chickens as they come out. I am worried that if I get rid of him, that someone else will take his place. I want to have at least one maybe two roosters but don't want to get rid of the wrong ones. Any suggestions?

Same thing with me! But my rooster isn''t even a year old.. and my other hen is over a year and a half year old ._. Lol. Its a Barred rock with My EE, but today he was sitting on her and pulling her pretty back feathers out, now their all bad looking >.>s oI got him off her and help her and she cuddled with me
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'd keep the one that seems to be the nicest with the hens/that your hens/pullets respond to most favorably. Really though, unless you keep them penned separately, two roosters would still be too hard on that few amount of hens. It'll be kind of hard to get a good feel for who will do best with your hens though, as they will act differently when they're the only rooster there vs. when they're under competition of other roos.

Back
Top Bottom