Rooster Muffled Voice and Breathing Problems

Hermandy

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Indiana
My year and half old Araucana rooster has recently started having a quiet, muffled voice and loud breathing like his throat is obstructed or there is mucus in it (like a person that has lost their voice). Everything else about him is normal; he is still eating, drinking, mating, and acting like a normal chicken. Any ideas? If he's sick I want to isolate him from the rest of the flock but everything besides his voice and breathing is normal.

You probably should isolate him although others may be exposed already. These things can come into your flock on shoes, clothes, and from wild birds or neighbor's chickens. If you want to medicate him you could start him on Tylan or Duramycin10. It's hard to tell one disease from another without having a necropsy by your state poultry vet, and many will come back again. Some chickens become carriers. Look for any swelling of the face or eyes, any nasal drainage, and bubbles in the eyes. Note the odor of your rooster's head--coryza smells very bad.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions :) As I said, nothing else is wrong with my rooster (no swelling or discharge). Just the muffled voice and wheezing. I've raised chickens for the better of 20 years and have never seen this problem before. It's not like a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom