Rooster not mating correctly anymore.

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
I have a rooster about 4 yrs old. I've noticed recently that he no longer properly mates the hens. He does get on top of them but doesn't drop his rear all the way down. I've noticed a drop in fertilized eggs so I know he's missing the mark. I noticed he also walks more carefully because of his long spurs since they've grown out. Should I trim them to help with mating?

This was a year ago. They are longer now and he steps as though he's stepping over them with each step.

Attachments

• 20200201_132251~2.jpg
    20200201_132251~2.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 36
This was a year ago. They are longer now and he steps as though he's stepping over them with each step.
Yeah, I'd pull those if it's troubling him. The spurs will grow back in about a few weeks.
He may bleed some when you remove the spurs, but won't feel any pain.

When they grow back they'll be shorter, & each time they get removed, the shorter the spurs will get.

Well it looks like this wasn't the issue after all. He is still not pushing down far enough to mate the hens correctly anymore. He will get on them and do the motion in the air. I did notice his legs look thicker especially for his size. I can add a picture tomorrow. Could this be preventing him from being able to squat down far enough? He is only 3 yrs old.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201014_162723.jpg
    20201014_162723.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201014_162719.jpg
    20201014_162719.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201014_162611.jpg
    20201014_162611.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 25
This looks like a possible scaly leg mites issue. It can become painful and affect walking. It is slowly contagious. How do the legs and feet of the girls look?
The cure is rubbing vaseline over/into the legs and feet.
It can take several weeks to get rid of.

This looks like a possible scaly leg mites issue. It can become painful and affect walking. It is slowly contagious. How do the legs and feet of the girls look?
The cure is rubbing vaseline over/into the legs and feet.
It can take several weeks to get rid of.

I checked the legs for signs of mites. Didn't see anything. But I will try treating to see if that helps. The rest of the chickens are fine.

I think leg mites are too small to see with the naked eye. Maybe go over and do a search in "predators n pest" forum for scaly leg mites. I found a wealth of info over there. Just to make sure before you spend time and money on treatment.

Back
Top Bottom