Rooster not walking, won't put any pressure on left leg

Two Birds One Stone Farm

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2017
Not sure what happened but my 8 month Rooster isn't walking. I've inspected both legs to try and find the source of the problem, but can find a wound, or a break. When I hold him, supporting his weight by his chest he keeps his left leg tucked up, and attempts to put pressure on his right leg but just makes his way back to the ground. I'm not able to take him to the vet, but would like to help him anyway I could. I was going to split it, but seeing as I can't find a break, I'm not sure if that's a solution. I have him in the house with me now, and am trying to keep him comfy. Thanks very much for your help!

I guess I would rest him and see if it improves. I had one rooster fall behind a board which left him unable to use one leg for months, than suddenly it worked again. Mine may have been a tendon out of place.

@Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock May have an idea. Generally things like Mareks will slowly worsen. So give him time and see.

8 month Rooster isn't walking. I've inspected both legs to try and find the source of the problem, but can find a wound, or a break. When I hold him, supporting his weight by his chest he keeps his left leg tucked up, and attempts to put pressure on his right leg but just makes his way back to the ground.

He's keeping it tucked in, while he's laying down, and it's limp if I try to get him to use it.
Can you post some photos or video of him? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What type of food/treats do you feed?
Is he your only rooster?
What does his poop look like?

I agree with @oldhenlikesdogs put him where the others won't bother him, it would be good if he's located within site of the flock if possible.
It's hard to know what's going on with him, but you can offer supportive care with poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin).

With him being young, Marek's does come to mind, so I would not rule that out.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Look forward to more info and photos/video.

Back
Top Bottom