Rooster, odd droppings w/pics, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LegHorn100, Oct 30, 2011.

1. LegHorn100

LegHorn100 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Hi there, i have a 9 year old pet white leghorn rooster who these past couple of days has been pooping 99% bright green droppings with brown cecal droppings every now and then, and now its gotten me worrying.

I kinda kept him by my room only in that area outside so I can keep an eye on him, he'll eat his seeds, walk around, etc etc. and if he hears me in my room, and I talk to him, he'll start clucking and cackling.

I'm starting to think its not what he heats, but something inside. Here are pics of him and the droppings, please please work with me i know they are bad resolution pics but I tried my best

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *update, pics better lighting*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first 2 pics show the bright green poop, it looks kinda normal according to the poop chart, http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 , but its not that kinda of green, its bright green!

and the other two show a large brown gooey cecal dropping that he always gives off once and a while, and the last pic is of him, which he clucked a little that I took a picture of him.

My mom said he was crowing this morning, so he's still crowing, when I saw him he already jumped down from his bed and came to me making his usual rooster noise, picked him up, gave him yellow seeds, he went straight to it, eating and pecking.

I usually feed him seeds, sunflower seeds etc and only by hand bread, grapes, little pieces of meat every now and then, tomatoes. But I've always did this, now he's dropping this green stuff? He is allowed to free roam, but he never pooped like this for days.

He droppings dont seem to be bile.. looks like kinda normal poops but bright green with a white coating on it and that gooey brown cecal every now and then. To add, it started to get cold a few days ago and a few days ago the mosquitos were really bad outside.

I went to the feed store and the guy told me if he's eating his food and drinking, I really shouldn't be concerned, but I am now really [​IMG]

Can you guys give me all the possible reasons you could possibly know that could be doing this? If you need me to, I will try to take more pictures and try and make the angle better and what not. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    my hens poop looked like that when she was recovering from bumblefoot surgery.
    I wondered what was wrong with it, and if it was normal too?

3. LegHorn100

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:Is she okay now? for how long did she poop like that for?

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    shes fine now, her poop went back to normal. but I never knew why her poop was that bright green. I was worried too.

anyone else know what it could be?

5. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    If he is a free range bird, he's probably gotten into lots of green forage... seems like when my group eats LOTS of different grasses and green weeds that their poop is very green (different shades also) vs lots of feed.

I wouldn't worry about it really unless he is showing signs of some type of sickness.

~Tammy

6. LegHorn100

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:He's the only chicken that I have, and I'm sure the only food he eats is either that by hand or his seeds, but I might be wrong, he might have gotten into some weeds. But yesterday, I kinda kept him isolated outside my room where I can watch

him outside, and there is dirt and gravel every where so he didn't really have access to weeds, grass, green stuff etc. everything he ate that I feed him came out green like in the pictures except this morning with one large gooey brown cecal

dropping, and thats when it hit me its not him eating grass and such, something must be wrong with him inside. But if that is true, I'm not sure what it could be. I just got done feeding him, he ate his food like normal, and I gave him some water

and he drunk it after a few rounds then made his rooster noise, turned around and jumped off the platform I was feeding him on, after he was done eating. I don't want to wait it out 'till its too late if something is wrong, maybe some type of

medicine can help him?

And by showing signs of some type of sickness, can you please tell me all the signs that you know of that might indicate something is wrong? Thank you so much for helping me.

*update* checked his nest again, one his green poops was still bright green, but a ever so slightly tad darker, so it might get darker and back to normal maybe in later days but atm almost all of them are bright green even the one from him a few hours ago.... but i see him pecking at his seeds for a few minutes*

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. TammyP

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
  8. TammyP

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Oh, I also wanted to mention that the color of his poop looks very similar to that leaf by the fence in your picture.....they will eat those too... [​IMG]

~Tammy

9. LegHorn100

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:I read that chart you found for me (thank you tammy!) and his crown does have blemishes on it a little, but sometimes they come and go, his left eye is half ways close almost but his eye lid has always been that way.

His legs and feet are somewhat crusty/ unpleasant but they have no mites or stuff like that in them, I took care of that a few months ago.

I read the common chicken illness and he doesn't really have any of those symptoms.

He is an older rooster, and he usually just stands by my room with his head up, not slumping, in the sun light, or he'll go lay down for a nap or something in the middle of the yard right in the sun light, or he'll go stand by my moms room.

I've had him all his life, and I know he wouldn't eat grass or leaves or anything like that these days, i know it sounds crazy, but trust me. I kept him isolated today away from that, and earlier he let out another bright green dropping. [​IMG]

I went down to the feed store and see if I can get some type of medicine, but it was closed today [​IMG] I'll go tomorrow for sure when it opens. Hope I can find something.

10. LegHorn100

Oct 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by