Rooster or hen? Buff orpington

blahblahblah282

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2016
Thought it was a "she" but I recently introduced a new hen to the flock and it was really aggressive and sort of weakly crowing. What do you guys think...this a roo or a hen? 4.5 months old

I'm thinking male....it looks like some saddle feathers are starting to show.

And that is not a purebred Buff Orpington as it has a pea comb...which is looking male as well.

EDITED TO ADD: Second look, I think that could be a developing rose comb in a male, and while the photo colors are a bit off, does it have yellow-ish legs?

If so, you've got a Buff Wyandotte rooster.

LofMc

Last edited:
I'm thinking male....it looks like some saddle feathers are starting to show.

And that is not a purebred Buff Orpington as it has a pea comb...which is looking male as well.

EDITED TO ADD: Second look, I think that could be a developing rose comb in a male, and while the photo colors are a bit off, does it have yellow-ish legs?

If so, you've got a Buff Wyandotte rooster.

LofMc
X2 on LofMc's post.

Well thank you all for the advice. Total shame, he was one of my favorite 'hens'!!! Had he just kept his big mouth shut I would have never known and he would have had a wonderful time with 4 beautiful ladies in close quarters! Oh well, I feel like I learned a lot more about hens vs. roosters today thanks to this unfortunate information and you all. Thanks again.

Well thank you all for the advice. Total shame, he was one of my favorite 'hens'!!! Had he just kept his big mouth shut I would have never known and he would have had a wonderful time with 4 beautiful ladies in close quarters! Oh well, I feel like I learned a lot more about hens vs. roosters today thanks to this unfortunate information and you all. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Well the good news is my local humane society is going to be taking him and they said farmers come in all the time and adopt them to let them run around on the farm. Don't know if that is true but he has a better shot than with me as I'm in the city...!

Back
Top Bottom