Rooster or hen? French marans

Ohregano

Chirping
Mar 15, 2022
Kettle Falls, WA
Last year I ordered the "dark brown egg female surplus" from cackle hatchery. I ordered 10 5 of them and I suspect that 3 of them are roosters. I wasn't positive until the last week or so when I had a minute to slow down and just watch them for a bit. They are absolute units too! Positively huge chickens.

This one I believe is a French Black Maran. You can see the hens in the background. There's another that looks just like this. I've been informed he's likely a Black Cochin.
20230202_083459.jpg

This one I think is a French Black Copper Maran. A Partridge Cochin...
20230202_083312.jpg

We ordered a total of 25 20 chickens, and we've got 9 left. We lost a few as chicks, they killed 2 themselves and the rest hopped their fence and my dogs got them. We have a massive area for them to forage too. They can also hop their back fence and get in our pig pen. The pigs love the chickens. The chickens stand on their backs and pick bugs and grain off them.
Anyways this would mean I've got 4 roosters (these 3 and a Black Sumatra), 5 hens (2 marans, 2 black sumatra, 1 easter egger). Which sucks, but explains why I only get 1-3 eggs a day. 😆 Some days we find none.

Last edited:
I'd lean more towards Black cochin rooster for the first and maran rooster.
The package I ordered doesn't include Cochins. It would be one of these:

French Cuckoo Marans

French Black Copper Marans

French Black Tailed Red Marans

French Black Marans

French Wheaten Marans

Barnevelders

Though when I looked up Black Cochins, I can absolutely see why you would think that.

French Cuckoo Marans

French Black Marans

French Wheaten Marans

Barnevelders

Though when I looked up Black Cochins, I can absolutely see why you would think that.
They have yellow skin, no?

I can see that the second one does. I can't see enough skin on the first one.

Marans have white skin. Not yellow.
So you're implying that they sent me multiple chickens that I did not order?

ETA: none of the chickens that are supposed to be marans have white skin. There are hens in the background of the first photo, that would be the same breed as the rooster.

French Cuckoo Marans

French Black Marans

French Wheaten Marans

Barnevelders

Sometimes chicks 'jump ship' and end up in the wrong bin. It could be a maran, I've never seen ones with such leg feathers but cackle has some show lines, maybe good marans have fluffy legs.

Back
Top Bottom