Rooster or hen?

RooBeeC

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2016

Ive been raising chicks for the last 3-4 month. Everything has been going great until my brahma started crowing. Ive read some females crow but I cant tell if she .. or he.. is a rooster.any ideas?

Rooster! See how tall he stands. It also has saddle feathers coming in it looks like. And those long feathers on the tail. All signs of a rooster. Plus comb and waddles are big and red.

Last edited:
Well, you could conclude you have a pullet except for the red comb and wattles, and the pointy neck feathers, and the pointy saddle feathers, and the stance. Oh, and the crowing bit. That's kind of a give-away.

I guess im in denial... my husband says we cant keep a rooster.. now idk what to do..

He is a very handsome cockerel. Probably show quality. He will probably make some very handsome chicks if you want to expand the flock with some more like him.

Unless you have local ordinances against keeping roosters, you can make the case for keeping a rooster to your husband, unless his last word is not to be questioned or disobeyed, in which case that may be your bigger problem.

You can order a no crow rooster collar from My Pet Chicken online. Thats what i did. If adjusted correctly it makes a great difference. The roo is unable to fully expand his breath, thus not allowing the full powerful crow to come out. It does NOT hurt or strangle them. It does NOT choke them either. Its like a velcro latch with a soft mesh middle. You can get them with or without a bow tie.the key is to get it correctly adjusted for maximum results. I will be putting mine on my guy soon. He hasnt crowed yet.hes 3 1/2 months old now. You might consider it to keep your roo. Ive read if correctly adjusted they are no louder than a hen.i just wanted to let you know this is a option. Hope it helps. Good luck.

RooBee your little man is gorgeous! I've been looking with quite an attraction to this breed!
Where did you get him from?
I hope you can keep him! I know I become very attached to my birds, especially when I raise them from little peeps.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom