1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RooBeeC, Jul 23, 2016.

1. RooBeeC

RooBeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

Ive been raising chicks for the last 3-4 month. Everything has been going great until my brahma started crowing. Ive read some females crow but I cant tell if she .. or he.. is a rooster.any ideas?

2. sroy

sroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Florida
    Rooster! See how tall he stands. It also has saddle feathers coming in it looks like. And those long feathers on the tail. All signs of a rooster. Plus comb and waddles are big and red.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, you could conclude you have a pullet except for the red comb and wattles, and the pointy neck feathers, and the pointy saddle feathers, and the stance. Oh, and the crowing bit. That's kind of a give-away.

4. RooBeeC

RooBeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    I guess im in denial... my husband says we cant keep a rooster.. now idk what to do..

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    He is a very handsome cockerel. Probably show quality. He will probably make some very handsome chicks if you want to expand the flock with some more like him.

Unless you have local ordinances against keeping roosters, you can make the case for keeping a rooster to your husband, unless his last word is not to be questioned or disobeyed, in which case that may be your bigger problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can order a no crow rooster collar from My Pet Chicken online. Thats what i did. If adjusted correctly it makes a great difference. The roo is unable to fully expand his breath, thus not allowing the full powerful crow to come out. It does NOT hurt or strangle them. It does NOT choke them either. Its like a velcro latch with a soft mesh middle. You can get them with or without a bow tie.the key is to get it correctly adjusted for maximum results. I will be putting mine on my guy soon. He hasnt crowed yet.hes 3 1/2 months old now. You might consider it to keep your roo. Ive read if correctly adjusted they are no louder than a hen.i just wanted to let you know this is a option. Hope it helps. Good luck.

7. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    RooBee your little man is gorgeous! I've been looking with quite an attraction to this breed!
    Where did you get him from?
    I hope you can keep him! I know I become very attached to my birds, especially when I raise them from little peeps.
    Good luck!

8. Ghull00

Ghull00 Just Hatched

Jul 24, 2016
    Lincoln, UK
    Ahhhh...he is v. sweet.....as said before.......he is DEFINITELY a cockerel....no doubts :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by