Rooster or Hen?

ChickenRun8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
South Australia
Hi All

I have a 10 1/2 week old Barnevelder X Australorp, which I think is a cockerel, although he doesnt act like a cockerel, and feathered much quicker than the other pullets from the same hatch.

79313_image_011.jpg

Thanks for you replies
smile.png

Being the cross he is, would he make good chicks and if so would it be better to put him with an Australorp or barnevelder hen or could he mix well with a RIR/Light Sussex

Last edited:
Im after an attractive chicken with a great temperament, and hopefully one that will produce a nice medium egg.

We have two Australorp X Barnevelders, the cockerel being one and a hen also in the photo, but the hen seems to be a little shy, not sure if this is the barnevelder trait coming through. I was thinking maybe mixing a sussex or a RIR (which seems to be a tops chicken) with the cockerel and hopefully get better temperament back into the chickens.

I havent done much mixing with breeds before and Im not sure if there are certain rules to follow when mixing

I don't think there are really any rules, except maybe not to expect much fertility if there is a big difference in size. Really, mutts are mutts, it's fun to see what you get, and there is some indication they will have "hybrid vigor," too. I just keep mine together and choose larger eggs to be hatched. Nothing wrong with choosing who will mate with whom, of course.

Quote:
Another step. Do you mean great with you, great with other birds, or both?

Then breed back to Aussies first. They will give you larger eggs, and in my experience a better temperament. If you want help with all-around, I would suggest crossing the birds with Hollands (white egglayer), Faverolles, Sussex, and Orpington.

Do not use RIR if you want better all-around temperament. RIR are known to be bird aggressive and I personally wouldn't mix them in any line. I would only use them if you are concerned with human-bird temperament and egg production.

Chicken Whisperer

I want them to be good with both other chickens and humans
Im not fairly familiar with Hollands and Faverolles, are they dual purpose chickens?

BroodyHen

Quote:
Okay. Then don't use RIR. Hollands are a GREAT breed, though rather rare. They are the only dual-purpose breed that lays white eggs (that I know of) though my girl does not lay chalk-white eggs. She is SUPER friendly, and always has her nose stuck in my business, walking between my feet, and following me around. She is also GREAT with other birds. They only come in Barred and while that I know of - and I got my girl from Ideal hatchery. I don't know what I would do with myself if I ever lost this girl.

Faverolles are considered dual-purpose, but they are not dual-purpose as you would view Australorps or Delawares. They are smaller birds than those breeds, but are wide and stout with big breasts. They are great layers of smaller creamy eggs and are VERY friendly. They have huge muffs, beards, and feathered legs - and here in the US, I've only ever seen them in the Salmon and Blue Salmon colors. These birds are so docile that they don't do very well in a mixed flock, but my pumpkin (the bird in my avatar) has a special place in my heart and I will never be without this breed (or hollands for that matter).

These two breeds are some of my TOP favorites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom