Rooster or Just a Mean Girl?

I had three. That was working well, even they she (or he) was still giving her a fun for her money. I started using a Grandpa’s Feeder today. So there’s only one and no other food is supposed to be available during the training period. So, Mr. Roo pretty much guards it from her.
This would explain why your are noticing more of his intensions. The ladies have to go to this one feeder and then he can mount them.
On another note... a couple weeks before my ladies start laying their first egg, the rooster starts mounting them.
You could also, separate for some time during the day. I use a dog crate with a food dish and water dish. You could separate him in the morning for some time, then the ladies can get lots of food and training with the new feeder before you let him join the flock.

I just sent the video to the farm where I got the chick as a pullet. He said it could be a hen showing the others who's boss. How likely is that to be the case?
I need an unlike button for days like this. I didn't want any roosters.
This would explain why your are noticing more of his intensions. The ladies have to go to this one feeder and then he can mount them.
On another note... a couple weeks before my ladies start laying their first egg, the rooster starts mounting them.
You could also, separate for some time during the day. I use a dog crate with a food dish and water dish. You could separate him in the morning for some time, then the ladies can get lots of food and training with the new feeder before you let him join the flock.
It's so funny that you say that. The chick he mounted is new and hasn't started laying yet. I guess he's foreshadowing what's to come. So I guess this really is a rooster. sigh...

I'm getting closer and closer to accepting that my Black Copper Marans hen is a roo and there will be no chocolate eggs coming anytime soon...
I think that is the hard part... no chocolate eggs.
Thoughts:
#1 buy chocolate eggs from the grocery store around easter time, then you can actually eat the entire eggs plus it is actually chocolate!!
#2 paint some eggs a chocolate color
#3 possibly think of hatching eggs in the future to see what a mixed breed would lay... be prepared to sell the chickens/roos
#4 maybe try to get more black copper marans next year if you don't have a limit on how many chickens you can have

I just sent the video to the farm where I got the chick as a pullet. He said it could be a hen showing the others who's boss. How likely is that to be the case?

It's a boy. Females should not get any copper coloring on their wings/backs like that. Plus as mentioned the saddle feathers (the long feathers by the tail) are long and pointy. And he's trying to mount the others.

It's a boy. Females should not get any copper coloring on their wings/backs like that. Plus as mentioned the saddle feathers (the long feathers by the tail) are long and pointy. And he's trying to mount the others.
I have finally accepted that. I've put him in a separate pen from the girls. Even though I really don't want a roo, I feel bad for penning him in. I really don't know what to do with him.

Back
Top Bottom