Rooster or no Rooster? which makes happy hens?

My girls are happier with a rooster, they've lived with one all their lives. This summer my roo Frank died and they were lost without him until I got a new roo. My two current roos are Aaron the Cuckoo Maran and Hayden the Light Brahma. I also have a tiny trio of bantams, the little roo, Macbeth, defends his girls, Molly and Candy, against anything he considers a threat.

Quote:
This is my main concern. The animal instinct to procreate. It is my belief <and MY belief alone, I cant prove it> that an animal that doesnt fulfill its genetically preprogrammed need to procreate becomes unwell.

For example, those stories you hear of that old spinster who dies with 50 cats in the house... or the couple who cannot have children, owning a dog/cat and treating it as a child...

Given I never owned a live chicken, I brought this up to see what kind of feed back I got... I will probably in the end get me a rooster (yes, you people pushed me a little that way)... I live on the outer parts of the city, and I have heard a few of them in the wee hours, so lets see what happens. For sure I would check with my neighbors first; one is a jerk, the other two are really nice...but maybe they wont mind if fresh eggs are involved... lol

isnt this a great forum???

As much as I would urge one to have a rooster, I would not if there is a possible problem with the neighbor. I have had a huge problem with my neighbor (discussed in previous threads) who hates the rooster and threatened legal action related to the value of his property. He is in the house a maximum of 2 nights a month as it is a second home. While I finally decided not to be bullied and rehome my rooster, I probably would not replace him if something happened to him because of the neighbor. Hopefully, he will move one day--the neighbor-not the rooster.

Well, don't go getting a rooster just for the girls. Most really couldn't care less. Some hens are upset by a rooster's attentions and can become quite nervous while others are so determined to repel his advances, I've seen them turn on him in full, dukes-are-up, fighting mode.

However, if YOU want a rooster, by all means get one. At best, they're extremely entertaining. At worst, they may decide you are the enemy and need challenging every day. Just be aware that roosters' personalities vary greatly, and you really can't be sure what kind you'll end up with. But if you end up with a bad one, they are all delicious.

I love having a roo. He really does keep order in the coop. Today i let a few of my girls out of the run with me (they are not free ranged), within minutes he was pacing back and forth at the gate making odd noises. The 3 girls that were out immediately started trying to find a way back in!!!

Hatched and raised two identical barred rock roos....they are so big look like turkeys... one decided to start attacking...first my neighbors child..the same afternoon (before I could do anything to seperate him) my friend came over and he tried to attack her!!!
that night getting ready to feed and he made the mistake of coming after ME...he is in "the pen" waiting until tomorrow when he will go to "freezer camp"... am keeping an eye on the other .. just in case......I love my chickens but they are chickens...fun to enjoy but become a meal eventually, we depend on them for meat that is healthy..not full of chemicals.....the eggs are great too.....I have 3 roosters to replenish the flock - had 2 broody hens one was killed by a predator(plus 25 of my pullets)..

I grew up around people that had chickens in So Cal many moons ago. My husband and I are now raising our first harem of ladies much further north from there. We can't legally have roos where we currently live. I don't mind as I remember what the banty roos were like that resided at my best friend's house. They would come at me like I was the scourge of the earth with their barbed hind claws. Nasty creatures that didn't like me at all. One day I decided that I was tired of it. I simply stood my ground with them when they came at me and I towered over them, didn't run, and started kicking dust up in their faces. They didn't like me any better but they did respect me after that... I know not all roos are like that but I don't think that you really need to make "honest" women of your chickens. If you don't provide them with a roo they will never know the difference. If YOU want to have a rooster and it's legal just remember that they make a lot more noise than the ladies of your coop do right now. Good luck with your ladies!
wink.png

Just talking about roosters makes me happy. I saw 2 "wild" ones by the side of the road tonight driving home--poor guys. I thought about picking them up (for a quick moment) but sanity reigned. If I could catch them without getting hurt, my dear rooster boy would not be amused by their arrival. Actually, what I thought was that they are far more capable of taking care of themselves than even a dog or cat.

Back
Top Bottom