Rooster or no?

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
I am torn on whether I should get a rooster for my ladies. I have 6 pullets total. They will be one year old in Sept 2023.

I like the idea of a rooster for protection when I let them free range and hatching a few fertile eggs in the future but right now I am having no issues within the flock. Everyone is currently getting along great and I don't want to ruin their nonproblematic dynamic they currently have going on. I also don't want the hens roughed up constantly by the rooster.

I have a dog and cats that will be out when they are out free ranging and I don't want any unwanted vet visits caused by the rooster either if he sees them as a threat.

I know you can get lucky and get an easy going/friendly rooster but I am not sure if it is worth the gamble. I would really like to hatch eggs in the future and protect my girls but I am just torn on whether it is actually worth it.

Any input?

I am torn on whether I should get a rooster for my ladies. I have 6 pullets total. They will be one year old in Sept 2023.

I like the idea of a rooster for protection when I let them free range and hatching a few fertile eggs in the future but right now I am having no issues within the flock. Everyone is currently getting along great and I don't want to ruin their nonproblematic dynamic they currently have going on. I also don't want the hens roughed up constantly by the rooster.

I have a dog and cats that will be out when they are out free ranging and I don't want any unwanted vet visits caused by the rooster either if he sees them as a threat.

I know you can get lucky and get an easy going/friendly rooster but I am not sure if it is worth the gamble. I would really like to hatch eggs in the future and protect my girls but I am just torn on whether it is actually worth it.

Any input?
If you like the way things are going with your flock, then I wouldn’t get one. You can always get chicks from some one in your community or at TSC/Rural King.

I personally LOVE having a rooster(s) in my flock. Good protectors, fertilized egg, and they show the girls where the food is.

What you could do as of having a roo with your dog and cat, is get him as a youngster. (the roo) Then he can grow up knowing both of them. That would calm the waters between them pretty well, In my opinion.

I think thats something that only you can really decide.
Personally, I wouldn't be without a rooster, mostly just because I love having them, and think the hens benefit from it. And I need the fertile eggs...
But if you like how your flock is in the moment, then maybe just stick with that?
Neither of my roosters have ever attacked me or the cats or dogs, but maybe I was just lucky.

I think thats something that only you can really decide.
Personally, I wouldn't be without a rooster, mostly just because I love having them, and think the hens benefit from it. And I need the fertile eggs...
But if you like how your flock is in the moment, then maybe just stick with that?
Neither of my roosters have ever attacked me or the cats or dogs, but maybe I was just lucky.
I am really wanting to add a speckled sussex to my flock and I thought about finding two pullets to add but then I was like well maybe I should think about a rooster and hatch some babies in the future. I love the idea of it for sure!

I have had roosters before but now I only have hens since my rooster died. I was very lucky to have a nice one that did his job and didn't attack me. However for the most part, the other roosters I've had have been troublesome. I would like to have a rooster because they are gorgeous and I like the crowing but then I remember all I had to go thru when I had them. I just keep my girls without a rooster and let them figure out who is going to be the main hen.

Dont get one they do not protect and they chase hens into submission my hens most of the time wont come out of the coop if hes out because he chases them until he grabs one i gave my hens a choice if they prefer him or a sororiety coop they chose a coop without him and thats where they have been roosting now while hes by himself in the other coop. Also had a different rooster tear a hens sides all the way down both legs caused infection and was put down. Hens are more calmer without a rooster then with one imo

I've had a "troublesome" roo and a "good" roo.

The only reason you HAVE to have a male is for fertile eggs. He may defend the girls, he may not. He may harass/overmate them, he may not. He may be ok around you, he may not.

If you hatch your own eggs, remember about half will be boys that you will have to deal with.

It really depends on the rooster.. you can get really lovely protective ones and really aggressive ones who can torment the hens too. it really varies.
I think the variety of answers all comes down to this. A good rooster can be the highlight of the flock and a source of joy. A bad rooster is the exact opposite.

How much are you willing to work to find a good rooster? I took the approach of adopting a mature rooster "pet" who needed rehoming (NOT a fresh cockerel full of hormones). He's a charmer and I and the girls love him. The downside was quarantine and treating his existing health issues (feather & scale mites). He's also not the most virile boy but my eggs still appear fertile. There's always a risk in introducing birds you haven't raised yourself, so keep that in mind.

My plan for the future is to raise his chicks in the spring and let the entire flock educate any new rooster offspring, as I've heard this tends to give them better manners as adults.

Back
Top Bottom