Rooster or no?

I think the variety of answers all comes down to this. A good rooster can be the highlight of the flock and a source of joy. A bad rooster is the exact opposite.

How much are you willing to work to find a good rooster? I took the approach of adopting a mature rooster "pet" who needed rehoming (NOT a fresh cockerel full of hormones). He's a charmer and I and the girls love him. The downside was quarantine and treating his existing health issues (feather & scale mites). He's also not the most virile boy but my eggs still appear fertile. There's always a risk in introducing birds you haven't raised yourself, so keep that in mind.

My plan for the future is to raise his chicks in the spring and let the entire flock educate any new rooster offspring, as I've heard this tends to give them better manners as adults.
I was going to adopt a mature rooster if I can find one in the breed I would like! One that someone has already seen his personality/characteristics so that I could hopefully have good luck with him!

Well, you wont believe it! The day after I made this post, I saw this guy on facebook and he is looking for a new home. Speckled sussex rooster, the exact breed I planned on buying in the spring. I took that as a sign and I am picking him up Saturday! I hope everything goes well and integrating over the next week or so goes okay! I am excited and nervous! Just hoping it works out!
rooster.jpg

Well, you wont believe it! The day after I made this post, I saw this guy on facebook and he is looking for a new home. Speckled sussex rooster, the exact breed I planned on buying in the spring. I took that as a sign and I am picking him up Saturday! I hope everything goes well and integrating over the next week or so goes okay! I am excited and nervous! Just hoping it works out!View attachment 3337924
He’s beautiful. Hope he turns out to be good for you and your flock.

Like others have said, it totally depends on the rooster. I finally have a Barred Rock rooster who is very good with the ladies and good with me. I am like you, I really didn't need one but he was so good with them that I just couldn't part with him.
Just a little bit of advice: it is a little jarring to see them mount the hens the first few times, it was unsettling because of the way they grab on and it just looks all kinds of wrong lol. Once you get past that, and the rooster gets smoother with time, it is just all completely normal now. The hens all love him and roost next to him, so he must be doing something right lol. Good luck.

Like others have said, it totally depends on the rooster. I finally have a Barred Rock rooster who is very good with the ladies and good with me. I am like you, I really didn't need one but he was so good with them that I just couldn't part with him.
Just a little bit of advice: it is a little jarring to see them mount the hens the first few times, it was unsettling because of the way they grab on and it just looks all kinds of wrong lol. Once you get past that, and the rooster gets smoother with time, it is just all completely normal now. The hens all love him and roost next to him, so he must be doing something right lol. Good luck.
We went to get our Christmas tree last weekend and they have chickens out in a pen for the public to see. Well the rooster decided that was a good time to, well ya know. 😂 And it was a little shocking at first! I was jeez!! Parents were covering their kids eyes hahahaha

The advice is good, even though it may seem wishy-washy because getting a good fit can be a crap shoot. My first thought was that you don't have enough hens for one rooster. Then I thought about the roosters that pick their favorites out of any sized flock, so the number doesn't always matter. Roosters stress my hens out, constantly chasing, mating and ripping out their back and shoulder feathers with their feet. I've never experienced any real protection factor for the flock with a rooster, either. The next time I have a rooster, I'll keep him in his own pen and allow controlled conjugal visits.

Back
Top Bottom