rooster or pullet? Please help!!

brooklyn86

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
HI can anyone tell me if these 2 are Roosters or Pullet? one is a 11 week old silver laced Wyandotte and the other is a 11 week old Plymouth Rock
we got them as a 3 day old and just not sure!
Thank you fir your help!

Last edited:
thanks. we've always thought it was a rooster because it was so much bigger and stood tall but just not sure! any ideas on the other one i posted?

Kind of reminds me of an aunt of mine that I only met once as a kid...we called her 'Thomas'...lol !!! So I don't know if I can be of any help or not. Good Luck !!!

welcome-byc.gif

I'm pretty sure those are both pullets.

They look like pullets, but I can't say for sure. The reason I believe they are pullets is because there isn't giant red comb and their faces are not very red. Just look for picture on Google by typing the breed and the age. Also, be sure add rooster to it. For example, I just searched for a 3 month old Plymouth Rock rooster on Google, and its face is much more red than the pictures you posted.

Another good way to sex them is by paying close attention to their mannerisms.

Do they fight a lot?

Do they dance at you or try to challenge you?

Do they attack you?

These are just some distinctive traits to tell whether or not your chickens are roosters. I know, from how I'm writing this, it may sound like I do not have a good education about chickens. And to be clear, I don't. I just got four Easter Eggers and a Leghorn(3 EE Hens, 1 White Leghorn Hen, and 1 EE Rooster) last May, and I'm speaking from experience. I apologize in advance if I was vague in any points that I tried to establish in this post.

Best of luck, Dillon.

Hi thanks so much everyone!!
Dillon- They have great personalities they don't attack or try to challenge us and are very attached to one another, follow each other everywhere and get very upset when the other isn't in sight. I googled and your right they don't look like the roosters on there. I just don't know because the breeder we got them off says she can tell the first one is a rooster by its wings but my father inlaw breeds them too and says its a hen!

Hi thanks so much everyone!!
Dillon- They have great personalities they don't attack or try to challenge us and are very attached to one another, follow each other everywhere and get very upset when the other isn't in sight. I googled and your right they don't look like the roosters on there. I just don't know because the breeder we got them off says she can tell the first one is a rooster by its wings but my father inlaw breeds them too and says its a hen!

I'm glad to hear all of this! It sounds like they are definitely hens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom