Rooster overbreeding one hen (a Polish)! Why?

LittleFarmInWV

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
I have an EE roo that is 5 months old. He has just recently realized the breeding potential all around him with 20 hens around. I have seen him mating with the other EEs and the barred rocks that are his age but not the older barred rock hen. About 4 weeks ago he started really going after my Buff Laced Polish hen. He will jump on and mate again and again. She runs and hides and he stalks her all around the yard. She has moved out of the coop and sleeps outside the coop by herself. i was catching her and putting her back in after dark but then he would come down from his roost to mate her so I'm leaving her out at night now. Goldie is a sweet little hen and I often let her ride on my shoulder. The other day he chased her around until she ran to me and i picked her up and he actually jumped up onto her while she was in my arms! I had to knock him down and bring her in the house just so she could get a bite to eat. What do I do to get him to leave her alone? I don't know if he is picking on her to be mean or just really likes her? Any ideas?

You could try an apron on her. He may not like it being in the way. It may not matter. He could be expressing dominance. She may be the only one that takes it, so to speak. Do you have several feed and water stations so that she can hide from him but still get to food and water. You may have to make a decision about separating or even rehoming one or the other. Best of luck.

I have some roosters that only want to mate with my tiny hen. It's driving me insane also.

I'm selling them because I'm worried that they are hurting her. I suggest that you get a hen apron or sell him. You can't have him mating her constantly.

Best of luck

~AnnElise

Back
Top Bottom