Rooster pecking hens while other rooster mounts

NoNeck

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2022
Hi!
I have 2 Australop roosters that are about 5 months old. I have 19 other hens. I have realised that when my least dominant rooster hops onto a hen, the dominant rooster starts pecking at the poor hens face.
I dont know if this is something i should be concerned about. There isnt any blood ever drawn and it doesn't get too violent from what I have seen, and it is just a peck or two.
Any suggestions, or do I just leave it?
Is he just trying to show the other rooster that he is the alpha or something?

Thanks !

It's a dominance thing. How are your ladies holding up? Sometimes cockerels can be too aggressive with their mating. I agree that you might want to rehome one of the boys.
It seems that they're fine. I mean half the time the hens dont squat for the roosters and they dont run for them.. they just ignore them most times. So i dont think there's any fear there. Do you think they will grow out of it? I really dont want to rehome any of the roosters as we've grown such a bond with them and they're so sweet, regardless of that one thing.

Whether or not they'll outgrow it, really depends on the individual personality and temperament of the boys. Some will mellow as they mature, but there's the possibility they could get even worse. If you really want to keep both, just watch them closely, and be prepared with a plan B if it doesn't work out.
Lots of space in the run and coop can help.

Back
Top Bottom