Rooster problems (roosters fighting)

Heritage Acres

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
11398_2008_1110001.jpg

We have two roosters and about 20 hens. Our original was this Rhode Island Red named "MoonRooster". He started getting mean and attacking the kids so we brought in a Buff Orpington rooster. We temporarily put MoonRooster in a chicken tractor alone for a month. He was going nuts, trying to get to his hens and trying to get out.

We eventually put him back with just the Rhode Island Red hens in a seperate coop and he seemed much more 'humble'. He did get sick, his waddle and comb turned a bluish color. We gave him antibiotics and he perked back up. He hasn't seemed mean like he used to.

The other day, the Buff rooster got into the RIRs pen (while we were gone) and apparently they fought. We found MoonRooster wedged underneat the coop, I guess to escape the Buffs attack. The RIRs comb was a little bloody.

Today we couldn't find MoonRooster. We looked and looked and finally found him here in the woodpile. Do you see him, down at the bottom? He had himself wedged in there to hide from the other rooster.

What is the deal? I thought they would fight and then it would be determined who was boss and they could live and co-exist together. I'm afraid this poor guy is living in terror and will never be able to walk out in the open again. Now MoonRooster is just a little humble chicken where he used to be so proud and mean. He just cowers and hides under the porch, inside a bush, in the wood pile?

Is this normal?

And just to clarify, I LOVE our Buff Orpington Rooster (Wallace, short for William Wallace). He is HUGE and so nice and gentle. We got him because we were ready to off MoonRooster for attacking all the kids.

Now we feel sorry for the old bully (moonrooster)

Please help.

Thanks!

Debra

P.S. I tried to post a picture but can't figure it out, any tips?

Last edited:
Chances are from being sick he didnt have the strength to fight off the Orp rooster and now has become an underling, no longer the big roo on campus.
If you have the space I would seperate him and one or two hens and give them a place of their own untill he can regain his strength and confidence.

Picture it this way , someones been sick wit the flu, all worn out and weak, said person gets into a wrestling match with a Five year old child, child is healthy and walks away leaving said person laying on the couch exhausted and weak. same principle.

He was sick awhile ago and was seperated during the time he was on antibiotics and then afterward. He should be fine and seems to be, except that he used to mate with the hens all the time and we NEVER see him mating anymore.

I'm worried that he will get himself stuck somewhere and can't get out. Plus, don't they usually 'work it out'. The hierarchy of the chicken coop where they can co-exist peacefully?

Somehow this just seems pathetic and wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Debra

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom