Rooster probs

I don’t know about you but I’m looking to keep both of my eyeballs intact ;)

0305220547-jpg.3015291

See how calm this cockerel got?

(Actually, Yellow seemed to be a fairly nice boy, but very poor type and no one wanted to pay $5 for him as a lawn ornament).

I have a rooster, pretty young, i did not want roosters but ended up getting a small batch of chicks and ended up with two. This one i named Georgie, picked him up and loved him when he was little and everything. Screw him. He's going today and will be in my crock pot tomorrow. Every time i go in the coop he attacks me, i'm so done! The other rooster, Spice, is such a beauty and docile, do you think he's only docile because Georgie is the alpha? And do you think his behavior will now change and he'll get mean once Georgie is gone? Good luck with your rooster!! Thanks for any helpful advice you can provide me friends!

I wouldn't call it hugging. LOL. But thank you for the advice. It was more of a love for holding the chicks. All i was saying is he attacks me and the other one has never even tried to attack me. I don't pet them or anything.

I suppose this is more venting than anything and I imagine I know what the general consensus will be with what needs to be done with this particular rooster but always open to suggestions. He is affectionately named Joffrey, if you know, you know.
I got a lavender orpington rooster and his 4 matching hens from the state fair almost a year ago now. One of his hens has successfully hatched and continues to care for 5 chicks (yay!) BUT the rooster is becoming a massive problem.
He has come after me 3 times now, first time, I chased him down with that rubber part that’s in your car windows to seal them (it had broken off and was sitting in my console) he did this as I was getting out of my car so I grabbed that and whacked him good, and I mean real good, right across his face. He huffed and fluffed and scooted off so I figured that’ll show him ‘cause I know that damn well hurt.
Second time, it seems he’s actually dancing around me acting like he’s going to strike but he half tried jumping at me and just went about his business when I yelled.
Lastly, today, I was walking back towards the coop to give the hens and chicks water and he full blown gets me from behind on my calf, got a gnarly scratch a good 8 or 9 inches just straight down, I punted this absolute godless heathen about 5 or 6 feet into a bush (this was within a second of it happening, spun around so quick nearly lost my head, after that absolute score I’ve been thinking about taking up soccer).

Anyways, I feel like I did everything to prevent this but I guess he was just born and destined to be a monumental pain in my rear end. Don’t know why I insist on keeping him, he’s a total crap protector, he’s mean and he’s annoying. I guess it’s just because I’ve had him so long, feels like it’s out of principal at this point.
Any advice and suggestions are more than welcome.
I’m not too hard up on giving him a one way ticket to chicken hell just yet so I reckon I can try a thing or two until I’m absolutely fed up.
I'm going through the same thing with my rooster.
Your story content is not funny but the commentary is hilarious!

I feel your pain. My rooster has put a giant gash down my grandson's face on his second attempt of attack, he's chased and attacked my granddaughter he's tried to attack me we've put him in his place and held him down for several minutes, like the videos instruct.
He's even mean to my hens. They are afraid of him he breaks feathers strips feathers he's just a horrible creature. I cannot rehome him and he is just about killed my other rooster who is on the mend. I think he's going to end up as dinner.
I've been researching for about 4 weeks trying to find an alternative. My granddaughter even though she's afraid of him does not want me to off Dandy. I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no other choice though.

Back
Top Bottom