Rooster Psychologist Needed!!

Keeping more than one rooster causes all sorts of problems. Honestly you’re always better off with just one because things turn out screwy sometimes with more than 1. The less dominant will sometimes just sneak around roughing up hens and just generally being an *ss.
Roosters know space and hens and they’re in charge of both. Sometimes they get along because one will just concede power but the hens usually suffer. Putting roosters in a “bachelor” flock works for the owner but it’s terrible for the roosters. The low man will get mated by the other roosters with *raging hormones and sometimes beat to hell and back.
I hear you on that one. I have a young 16 week rooster in there that will need to be relocated I guess. I thought generally 1 rooster per ten hens? But what do I know. The yards is huge so I thought with all that space it would be fine. At my home I have 4 hens, no rooster and it is a totally different vibe.

Keeper Psychologist is what's needed.
Listen to @roosterhavoc .
I don't need a Psychologist that's why I ask for advice. I have never done this before and read and research all the time. That is why I joined this forum, for friendly and helpful advice. Not passive aggressive jabs, at least that's how your comment reads.

Thank you @roosterhavoc...You're advice is appreciated and constructive. Happy Thanksgiving. I am actually very grateful for my flock and treat them with respect.

I hear you on that one. I have a young 16 week rooster in there that will need to be relocated I guess. I thought generally 1 rooster per ten hens? But what do I know. The yards is huge so I thought with all that space it would be fine. At my home I have 4 hens, no rooster and it is a totally different vibe.
The rooster for 10 hens is really just for fertility purposes.
I have about 40 roosters less than 5 months running around my yard and close to 75 pullets and hens so vibe is a little different here too but I walk by every one of them at least once a day and usually way more often without issue.
In most cases the chickens rarely use all the space they have daily but they will separate themselves off into little groups which keeps the peace pretty well. I have different kinds of chickens so I have to do things much differently but the rooster behavior still applies.

I butcher human-aggressive cockerels. I won't tolerate a butthead roo.

I have several friendly, & or timid roosters that are not aggressive, & all do their duties.

Great rooster traits I see, is respect towards their human master, & are protectful of their flock.

I butcher human-aggressive cockerels. I won't tolerate a butthead roo.

I have several friendly, & or timid roosters that are not aggressive, & all do their duties.

Great rooster traits I see, is respect towards their human master, & are protectful of their flock.
There is no human master. You have much to learn. I don’t have that kinda time though. If it works for you keep doing it just know you have probably created the less than desirable traits your seeing in the roosters you butcher.

The rooster for 10 hens is really just for fertility purposes.
I have about 40 roosters less than 5 months running around my yard and close to 75 pullets and hens so vibe is a little different here too but I walk by every one of them at least once a day and usually way more often without issue.
In most cases the chickens rarely use all the space they have daily but they will separate themselves off into little groups which keeps the peace pretty well. I have different kinds of chickens so I have to do things much differently but the rooster behavior still applies.
I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your knowledge. I think the most important thing to remember is they are chickens and I am a human, so stop projecting my human thoughts and emptions onto my chickens. Makes sense. :) I just took my hen to the vet because she had a calcified puss infection behind her eye in the socket. They extracted a huge mass, unbelievable! But her eye is fine and she looks normal again. I'm new to this so need all the advice I can get. Mahalo!

There is no human master. You have much to learn. I don’t have that kinda time though. If it works for you keep doing it just know you have probably created the less than desirable traits your seeing in the roosters you butcher.
What do you mean less then desirable traits? It's good to have a rooster that protects your flock, but it's not good to have a rooster that wants to attack you every time you enter the coop.

My birds think of me as Alpha, so I refer to it as human master.

I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your knowledge. I think the most important thing to remember is they are chickens and I am a human, so stop projecting my human thoughts and emptions onto my chickens. Makes sense. :) I just took my hen to the vet because she had a calcified puss infection behind her eye in the socket. They extracted a huge mass, unbelievable! But her eye is fine and she looks normal again. I'm new to this so need all the advice I can get. Mahalo!
The only reason I know any of it is because I’ve ruined some roosters myself doing the same things. It’s truly best to ignore them and let them think they are running the show. Pretending they aren’t even there just keeps everything running smoothly but it’s best to do it the entire time from chick to mature rooster. Far less problems.
Most people want credit and acceptance from the rooster for all they do but that won’t happen. Lol

Back
Top Bottom