Rooster qualities

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
What qualities should I look for in a rooster?

Currently, I have 6. 🙃 They're all getting to be too much, so very soon I'll be thinning the roo population from 6 to 1. I'd like to keep the best guy for my girls, but I'm afraid I'll choose wrong! I have 2 in mind (that are complete opposites).

I have "Dinner" who is a Barred Rock Bantam. He's the "Boss" of the whole flock, he is easy to catch, doesn't bite me if I pick him up (smack talks me though) & he seems protective of the girls. Dinner is very vocal about possible threats & seems attentive to danger.

Then my second choice would be "Paco". He is a Barred Rock mixture of some sort. He makes nests for the girls, coaches them through egg laying & isn't as "boss-like". He is also impossible to catch so I'm not sure if he would bite me if caught or not. But, I figured he would make a good daddy rooster if we decided to have some chicks down the road. He isn't as attentive about threats, but is more concerned about being "involved" with the girls. (Foraging, drinking together, etc.)

I might add, these chickens are in a run at all times & there aren't any scenarios that I could think of that they would be out & about freely. Pictures are in order. 🙂

What do you think? Which rooster would be best for your flock?

Attachments

• 20210811_090133.jpg
    20210811_090133.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210811_090142.jpg
    20210811_090142.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 10
I'd keep the most friendly one. Any that I have to chase tend to be more aggressive.

Other Aggressive traits: Biting

Shouldering

Shouldering/Groaning

Dancing(This Doesn't always have to do with aggression, also means Hello, & Wants to mate)

Hackle Flaring

Sizing you up

Kicking your when back is turned.

Kicking you when you look at him.

Attacking frequently when entering the coop.

Personally I would hold on to those 2, cull the extra 4 and see of anything changes when they have far less competitions.
That's what I was going to suggest, too.

Removing the other four will make more space in the pen, less males to pester the hens, and then you can take a bit longer about deciding between the last two. As @JacinLarkwell points out, their behavior may change when the extras are gone, so deciding between them might become easier after that.

Also, pick up each of your top choices and examine them carefully for physical problems. It would be very frustrating to butcher five and then discover that the one you kept had a problem! (If you cannot catch Paco in the daytime, try grabbing him off the roost at night.)

What qualities should I look for in a rooster?

Categories of things I would check for:

--Things that would cause problems for the bird, like a crossed beak or bumblefoot.

--Traits that matter if you breed the rooster, because you don't want those traits in the chicks. This could include wrong number of toes, crooked tail, how muscular and meaty the are, overall size, comb shape and size, feather color and feather quality, and many other things. If one was especially fast or slow to grow his first feathers, he is likely to pass that on to his chicks too, so don't choose the one who stayed naked longest, unless you want to breed chicks that do the same.

--Temperament. I see that you've been watching this one, both when they are in the run and when you pick them up. I've had some chickens that panic when I pick them up, and others who are calm when handled (I notice this even when they are all handled with the same frequency, so it's not just a matter of them being used to it.) I have a personal preference for the calm ones.

--Crowing. Most rooster crows don't bother me, but I've heard a few that were really annoying. So if one really stands out (in a bad way), I would butcher him.

Different traits are important to different people, so I'm just listing these as examples.

Then my second choice would be "Paco". He is a Barred Rock mixture of some sort.
In the picture, Paco looks like a Delaware, which is a different pure breed.

Depending on how many hens you have, I personally would keep both. Dinner would be a great roo for protecting the Ladies, and since he doesn’t bite that’s a plus. As for Paco he’s more my kinda rooster, he’d probably be a great dad, he’s obviously a gentleman and a calm rooster. And in my opinion he’s prettier. Lol it doesn’t really matter but the chicks would probably be prettier if Paco was the father. But if you only have enough for 1 rooster, I’d pick Paco. In a free range environment you’d need to have a very protective rooster. But since they would always be in a run, I think Paco might be better. He’s calmer, gentler, and probably a good dad. That’s just my opinion. Pick what works for you.👍🏼

That's what I was going to suggest, too.

Removing the other four will make more space in the pen, less males to pester the hens, and then you can take a bit longer about deciding between the last two. As @JacinLarkwell points out, their behavior may change when the extras are gone, so deciding between them might become easier after that.

Also, pick up each of your top choices and examine them carefully for physical problems. It would be very frustrating to butcher five and then discover that the one you kept had a problem! (If you cannot catch Paco in the daytime, try grabbing him off the roost at night.)

Categories of things I would check for:

--Things that would cause problems for the bird, like a crossed beak or bumblefoot.

--Traits that matter if you breed the rooster, because you don't want those traits in the chicks. This could include wrong number of toes, crooked tail, how muscular and meaty the are, overall size, comb shape and size, feather color and feather quality, and many other things. If one was especially fast or slow to grow his first feathers, he is likely to pass that on to his chicks too, so don't choose the one who stayed naked longest, unless you want to breed chicks that do the same.

--Temperament. I see that you've been watching this one, both when they are in the run and when you pick them up. I've had some chickens that panic when I pick them up, and others who are calm when handled (I notice this even when they are all handled with the same frequency, so it's not just a matter of them being used to it.) I have a personal preference for the calm ones.

--Crowing. Most rooster crows don't bother me, but I've heard a few that were really annoying. So if one really stands out (in a bad way), I would butcher him.

Different traits are important to different people, so I'm just listing these as examples.

In the picture, Paco looks like a Delaware, which is a different pure breed.
Thank you for all the valuable information! 🙌🏻

Thankfully I don't have any that have abnormalities. However, I chose Paco over (what looks to be) his brother simply because he's more calm. His brother has a very large chest, great looking roo & is very vocal, which I don't mind, but... he can be a bit obnoxious with the girls. Again, could be because of too many dudes.

It's a very hard decision for me & I want to make the right one, but I need to make it fast! lol, I have to go out every evening before roosting time & separate a few to prevent scuffles!

I have 8 girls!
I would keep both for now, and see how that plays out. It could be fine, or you could decide it's best to lower to one (I would keep the predator savvy one if he isn't mean to you or the hens Personally). I currently have about 12 (moving birds around so that number is going to fluctuate still) hens/pullets and 3 males with them (one is about 7, one is just about a year and the last is 4 months I think). Ad long as no one gets out of line, my girls are still happy and cleanfeathered with those ratios.

Back
Top Bottom