Rooster question

nccatnip

Songster
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Piedmont area NC
When I got my chickens, I got 18 in all, 6 bantams (one Roo) and 12 Buff Orp's (one rooster) It was recommended to me by the breeder to get the two roo's as mine free range most of the time. He told me that if they were raised together, the roo's would not fight. Today I see the bantam roo chasing the buff roo all over the place. The buff is about two weeks younger and a little slower to mature. Of course, the buff could easily stomp the beejeezus out of the bantam if he wanted. Is this the beginning of a problem or will they work it out? There is plenty of room for all of them to free range. I hate the thought of having to cage either one as their girls will have to be caged also.
Thoughts anyone?

That is normal. They are just establishing a pecking order. Hens will do this as well, just not as much. They'll be fine. If you ever want pure bred chicks you'll have to separate them though, roosters will breed with any old hen.
smile.png

Thanks for the reply. Everything has been so peaceful and all have been so happy up until this point. But it is kinda funny to see thsi little bantam chasing a big old buff who is in fear for his life!!!! Glad to know it is not serious.

Most important to keep an eye on the situation. Even though they have enough daytime space, all heck can break loose when they are all together in the coop. The older they get, the more serious the situation becomes. Don't think for a second that the soon to be dominant roo doesn't want all the hens for himself, cause he will unless you have 2 calm tolerant roo's, which isn't normal. I've tried and tried to have more than one roo with my flock.... calm hens lay more eggs and aren't constantly being bothered by the roo's. Experience is the best teacher, so give it a try and see how it goes. If problems arise don't wait to take action, cause it will only get more serious. Good Luck.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom