Rooster Question

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
My rooster hatched out in February doesn't give any of us in the family space. He will follow us and imo get into our personal space.

This is a bad sign right?

He is a Salmon Faverolle.

Is this anything I did wrong?

I had to get rid of my last boy as he attacked me.

I do have another rooster in a separated area and he is just so great.

My rooster hatched out in February doesn't give any of us in the family space. He will follow us and imo get into our personal space.

He is a Salmon Faverolle.

Is this anything I did wrong?

I had to get rid of my last boy as he attacked me.

I do have another rooster in a separated area and he is just so great.
“Following us and imo get into our personal space” is a bit vague. Hatched in February means he’s about 22 weeks old. I don’t think what he’s doing today will be a great indicator of what he’s doing 30 weeks from now.

If he actually attacks you, that’s a sign.
If he brutalizes the girls, that’s a sign.
Just following you around? Maybe not.

But you’re going to have to use your judgement. If you aren’t happy with your chickens because of him, maybe it’s time to rehome. Particularly if you have another roo you prefer.

Main point, at his age behavior changes daily.

Edit - A lot of people here are overjoyed when their hens will hop up on their laps and be social. I’ve had Roos that do that to. I’ve never had a problem with it. But, I’m not uncomfortable around Roos generally either.

I spent some time today watching him.
In this coop there are 11 hens (9 are older then he is and 2 are the same age), 2 chicks, 3 ducks and this roo.

He doesn't seem to have any authority over the flock. He'll call them over with the look what food I found call. There are only 2 hens that will come to that call and when they do my top hen will attack them.

He is quite rough with the hens but none of them squat for him so it's always a mad run around until he catches them. After he has mated or attempted to the hens will gang up on him.

I do have a stick that I will go in with the odd time and when I do the rooster will stay away from me.

I'm slightly discouraged. I don't like the idea of always walking in with the stick.

My other rooster is a separate coop is such respectful of myself and kids. But I didn't raise him. Got him from a local farmer right before he was culling his roos when he was 2 years old.

I have a mixed flock with the nice roo and a breeding flock with my Salmon Roo.

He will follow us and imo get into our personal space.

I don't think following by itself means much in terms of end result personality. I have three roos. Two of them (unrelated genetically) would follow me around a lot as youngsters and still jump onto me at any opportunity to try to get attention. Now they're grown up, one is very high strung, pushy, and nippy, and the other is so calm he's actually the only chicken I trust letting strangers handle. Both want me to pick them up and carry them around. Bitey boy also has a chronic snack fixation, so if I have a treat bag or feed scoop he's immediately glued to my legs and trying to nip at the scoop, making it hard for me to walk without accidentally kicking him. My third roo is more shy and never followed me much but is otherwise very sweet.

What exactly does your cockerel do when he gets in your space? Just gets in the way? Or does he do something bad?

I spent some time today watching him.
In this coop there are 11 hens (9 are older then he is and 2 are the same age), 2 chicks, 3 ducks and this roo.

He doesn't seem to have any authority over the flock. He'll call them over with the look what food I found call. There are only 2 hens that will come to that call and when they do my top hen will attack them.

He is quite rough with the hens but none of them squat for him so it's always a mad run around until he catches them. After he has mated or attempted to the hens will gang up on him.

I do have a stick that I will go in with the odd time and when I do the rooster will stay away from me.

I'm slightly discouraged. I don't like the idea of always walking in with the stick.

My other rooster is a separate coop is such respectful of myself and kids. But I didn't raise him. Got him from a local farmer right before he was culling his roos when he was 2 years old.

I have a mixed flock with the nice roo and a breeding flock with my Salmon Roo.
but again, without the stick< does he try to attack you OR is he just following you around?

I don't think following by itself means much in terms of end result personality. I have three roos. Two of them (unrelated genetically) would follow me around a lot as youngsters and still jump onto me at any opportunity to try to get attention. Now they're grown up, one is very high strung, pushy, and nippy, and the other is so calm he's actually the only chicken I trust letting strangers handle. Both want me to pick them up and carry them around. Bitey boy also has a chronic snack fixation, so if I have a treat bag or feed scoop he's immediately glued to my legs and trying to nip at the scoop, making it hard for me to walk without accidentally kicking him. My third roo is more shy and never followed me much but is otherwise very sweet.

What exactly does your cockerel do when he gets in your space? Just gets in the way? Or does he do something bad?

Maybe I'm just apprehensive.
I tend to leave pretty quick or throw him food if he gets too close to me. I feel he is treating me like a hen and trying to corral me. He'll sometimes do his mating dance.

He did come come fast towards my eldest daughter last week when she was moving a broody girl. I yelled out to her to put the hen down and I did feel he tried facing his feet at her but she says she didn't feel anything. But now my daughter is no longer comfortable, so maybe more happened.

Back
Top Bottom