Rooster questions. Need advice

This time of year, feathers are old, as mature hens go into molt. They look ratty and wore out, with bald spots. This is normal. After they molt, the new feathers will look like brand new dresses.

In theory, a father/son works better in a flock... kind of. The older rooster is dominant, and the son respects that...until he doesn't.

With roosters, behaviors today have NO influence on behaviors tomorrow or next week. This forum is full of posts where as the darling becomes the nightmare in an instant.

I too prefer my roosters to give me space, but to each his own. Personally, I don't keep a bird that I don't like. I think you don't like the older bird, so let him go. But beware, pulling the old bird out of the flock, may totally change the behavior of the young rooster. But also the young roosters might just change anyway.

Roosters are a crap shoot. A lot of them do not turn out.

Mrs K

This time of year, feathers are old, as mature hens go into molt. They look ratty and wore out, with bald spots. This is normal. After they molt, the new feathers will look like brand new dresses.

In theory, a father/son works better in a flock... kind of. The older rooster is dominant, and the son respects that...until he doesn't.

With roosters, behaviors today have NO influence on behaviors tomorrow or next week. This forum is full of posts where as the darling becomes the nightmare in an instant.

I too prefer my roosters to give me space, but to each his own. Personally, I don't keep a bird that I don't like. I think you don't like the older bird, so let him go. But beware, pulling the old bird out of the flock, may totally change the behavior of the young rooster. But also the young roosters might just change anyway.

Roosters are a crap shoot. A lot of them do not turn out.

Mrs K
So I ended up with a total of 5 roosters from all my hatchlings. My 2 older ones were great until they totally turned. My dominant one still respected me & was great but he got into a huge fight with his son & ended up dying. His son was ok for a little while but then started attacking anything other then his ladies. Had to freezer camp him after he attacked my son & drew blood. 2 of the younger boys also ended up in freezer camp because they totally started gang raping my hens! They’d herd a hen into a corner & then take turns mounting her until either my 3rd rooster, another hen, or one of my family stopped them. My final rooster is a beautiful salmon faverolle that is super chill. All he does in protest of us “messing” with his ladies is growl. Literally growl at us. From about 20 feet away from us. Thing is that if we pick him up he totally falls asleep & starts almost purring! We are keeping him now. He’s very gentle with his girls & tries to attack any dog who comes to close. That is except our dog Dylan! Those 2 are thick as thieves. He rides around on my dogs back all the time. They also cuddle up in the sun together. It’s hard not to love this rooster we call Coho.

I’ve got a mixed flock of 18 birds. Half are full grown hens. Other half a pullets about to start laying in the next couple weeks. I’ve got 1full grown rooster that’s about 2 years old. He’s been a great breeder of my gals & super protector. Now however, I’ve got a 5 month old rooster who’s super nice & likes petting him. He’s so far way more friendly then our current rooster who doesn’t want anything to do with us. He runs away from us & bites whenever we have to catch him for his monthly check ups. ( I do that to make sure no one has any hidden issues or are getting mite/flea/tick infestations) My new young rooster willingly let’s us hold him & loves his chin scratched. He also lets us pet him all the time.

My questions are thus:

1.What age do roosters start crowing/maturing?
2. Should I be worried about my 2 roosters fighting once my little boy starts being a big boy?
3. Do roosters behaviors change once they start maturing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
He is too young to be considered as a replacement for the older rooster. He may like to be petted now but once he matures this will change .He will likely challenge the older rooster before he turns a year old.Mature roosters do not like to be petted and held. ( unless they're house chickens)The more mature he is the better his chances of becoming a good rooster. Roosters raised in a flock with older hens and a rooster make the best roosters.

My roosters I never have a problem with, but where they can be bad is when owners shy away and act skidish, or offer a foot to be attacked. Bad habits.

Back
Top Bottom