Rooster questions

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Everywhere, anywhere, in your yard
Let me explain a little before my questions.
I have a mixed flock with 1 rooster, a silkie. He is super sweet and about a year old, very well mannered with me and the hens and never showed any aggressive behavior. I am now wanting more banties and to separate my bantams and a special needs hen from my standards. I am building a bigger run for my other coop for my bantams, which includes the rooster, a silkie hen and another bantam cross. I am hatching some silkie and silkie crosses soon. I know I'll get at least 1 rooster so here lies my questions
1. How do I raise roosters from chicks to be sweet and not aggressive and good to the hens
And
2. How do I raise my new rooster to get along with my current boy (besides the normal hen amount and such)
And
3. These hens have never lived without a rooster, will they be ok till I get another in a few months

I will probably sell/give away the roosters that hatch this time but if it's stunning I may keep, that's why I'm asking.
please dont tell me to NOT have 2 roosters and that stuff

Last edited:
Let me explain a little before my questions.
I have a mixed flock with 1 rooster, a silkie. He is super sweet and about a year old, very well mannered with me and the hens and never showed any aggressive behavior. I am now wanting more banties and to separate my bantams and a special needs hen from my standards. I am building a bigger run for my other coop for my bantams, which includes the rooster, a silkie hen and another bantam cross. I am hatching some silkie and silkie crosses soon. I know I'll get at least 1 rooster so here lies my questions
1. How do I raise roosters from chicks to be sweet and not aggressive and good to the hens
And
Raising him with older birds helps. Leave him alone, don't cuddle him.
2. How do I raise my new rooster to get along with my current boy (besides the normal hen amount and such)
Hit or miss. Raise both in the same space. They'll either get along or won't.
And
3. These hens have never lived without a rooster, will they be ok till I get another in a few months

I will probably sell/give away the roosters that hatch this time but if it's stunning I may keep, that's why I'm asking.
please dont tell me to NOT have 2 roosters and that stuff
They'll be fine

Raising him with older birds helps. Leave him alone, don't cuddle him.
Ok, should I let him eat from my hand when the other chicks do?
Hit or miss. Raise both in the same space. They'll either get along or won't.
Ok thanks
They'll be fine
Ok, will the new rooster that I add for them (probably early next year) be accepted or do you think they would not accept a new rooster later on?

Ok, should I let him eat from my hand when the other chicks do?
Hit or miss. Mine do because I inevitably get breeds I can't sex until 5 months. I still hand feed occasionally, but offer it to him first so he can call the gals over. Once he's a He, he owns the flock when it comes to providing for them. I just provide enough for him to provide to them
Ok thanks

Ok, will the new rooster that I add for them (probably early next year) be accepted or do you think they would not accept a new rooster later on?
They might harass him a bit, bit they shouldn't bully him, especially for long

Hit or miss. Mine do because I inevitably get breeds I can't sex until 5 months. I still hand feed occasionally, but offer it to him first so he can call the gals over. Once he's a He, he owns the flock when it comes to providing for them. I just provide enough for him to provide to them
Ok thanks!
They might harass him a bit, bit they shouldn't bully him, especially for long
Ok, I heard stories of hens attacking new roosters so I wanted to make sure

I feel like roosters (and hens) are just like people, some get along and some don't regardless of what advice you follow, lol.

I have read not to hand feed roosters, but until you can gender identify I don't know how you avoid this?!
Maybe don't hand feed at all.....going to be hard fir me!

I hear you, I have been hand feeding mine which are 7 weeks tomorrow and raised by a broody and pretty sure I have 2 cockerels, now to back off. But they are so cute ;)
Yeah, I've raised 2 batches of chicks and I like my chickens nice as can be so I cuddled and Pampered them! Those were sexed females though. This is my first hatch so u am a nervous wreck........and I have not even set the eggs yet!!! :th

Back
Top Bottom