Rooster Questions...

Tressa27884

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Cooper, Texas
I have several questions, so I hope none are too dumb.

I have this really cool little bantam rooster. He's good to my hens, likes to be with people. He's an all around good guy....but boy does he crow. He starts at about 5:45 and goes all day long until about 7:00 at night. My neighbors are tolerant, but even they have their limits. Tonight I let him put the girls to bed, then brought him into my laundry room for the night. He has a perch and everything he'll need. I'm hoping that with "forced" darkness, he'll sleep in a little while and then I can take him outside in the morning about 7:00 am. Is there any reason this is "bad" for him. I think he liked hanging out in the house with the family before bed time (ha).

Ok next question - try as he might he doesn't seem able to "mate" with my standard hens, my bantam girls are all fairly young - so is it physically possible for him to breed with the standards?

Is it normal for a rooster to crow all darn day? If so anybody have a quieter boy they'd like to trade? I'm in Concord

Thanks all....

Tressa

I'm not sure about some of your issues, but I can tell you this. My boys like being around their girls...day AND night. And all three of my roos welcome the sun (crow) all day any time. I have 2 young ones and one older guy....they crow whenever they feel like it. Personally, I love it. And have no neighbor issues as I am in a rural area.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to keep him segregated in your laundry room or that it will keep him from crowing when he wants to.

Maybe someone will have better answers for you.
smile.png

I don't mind the crowing, but the neighbors do. I was thinking that if I kept him in the house [ours] til 7am, then everybody would be happy, and I wouldn't have to rehome him. He came to me from a petting zoo - so until recently he didn't really get to "hang with girls" anyway.

Thoughts?

hu.gif

Just curious....how did he fare in the house? What time did he start crowing this morning?

He did really well in the house. He started crowing as soon as we were all up and moving about 6:30. I DO NOT mind his crowing at all. The kids [two boys, 11 and my daughter 2] thought it was great fun to have him in the house! I went in about 9:00 openend the door to the outside and he followed me out to the run - did a quick check on his harem and they're all out roaming the yard as usual. So far, the only downside I see - is that now they've added the patio to their roam area.

I need to add, that quite often my girls will come into the house on their own if anybody leaves a door open. I always chase them out - but having a chicken in the house isn't all that unusual here..

Tressa

There are plenty of people that do what you're doing and bring the roo in at night to help keep the neighbors happy. I don't think it's "bad" for them at all. Would be a lot worse for him if you had to get rid of him due to the crowing!

Yes, it is normal for some of them to crow all day. Looks like you happened to get one that does.

He may indeed not be able to properly mate your hens. But that's ok, he'll always have a great time practicing.

Back
Top Bottom