Rooster raising chicks

This boy raised these chicks alone too!
I didn't keep him though. He was separated because of an injury and his hackle leakage, so I didn't want him breeding, but he was very good with the young ones.
WP_20180514_09_08_01_Pro.jpg

Can you touch/handle the chicks without him getting upset?
Maybe this isn't your first male bird and you know how to manage it.

When i go into the run he ushers them to the back of the coop onto the nest then stands guard at the door as long as his fear of me lets him. I have gone in and picked them up he comes to see what the noise is all about but dosnt attack me. He fusses a little.

I have gone in and picked them up he comes to see what the noise is all about but dosnt attack me. He fusses a little.
That is perfect! Keep doing that and he will have more trust in you.
I've done the same, girls squawks upon being picked up(they always do), male comes tearing in and skids to stop, cocking his eye at me...oh, it's just you. :lol:

my next door neighbors have a bantam frizzle rooster that hatched out his own chicks and has been their mother since day one!!!! he is awesome! they still (even though they are almost full grown) NEVER leave their Daddys side!!! furthermore my buttonquail male goes broody with my female!!! with the exeption of

Back
Top Bottom