Rooster raising chicks

Tlco

Songster
Sep 5, 2016
Taylor, Tx
Hello all. I just got new chicks this last weekend. They are about 4 weeks old. They came from a mixed backyard flock. The owner gave us a rooster whom looks to be 1 yr old but not sure. They are in the same coop and i was worried at first how he would be with the chicks. But surprise he is tending them! He sleeps in the nest with them protects them shows them how to scratch and they seam to love being with him. Anyone else had a rooster do this? Its just him and them no hen at all.

Attachments

• 20180924_095738.jpg
    20180924_095738.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 20180924_095746.jpg
    20180924_095746.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180924_095748.jpg
    20180924_095748.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180924_095721.jpg
    20180924_095721.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hello all. I just got new chicks this last weekend. They are about 4 weeks old. They came from a mixed backyard flock. The owner gave us a rooster whom looks to be 1 yr old but not sure. They are in the same coop and i was worried at first how he would be with the chicks. But surprise he is tending them! He sleeps in the nest with them protects them shows them how to scratch and they seam to love being with him. Anyone else had a rooster do this? Its just him and them no hen at all.
Conventional wisdom and much of the current science regarding chicken behaviour state the males have no part in raising chicks.......pffft! I've asumed that the people who have written such, have read what others have written and knocked up a quick paper for their thesis and probably wouldn't know a chicken if one fell on them.
My experience has been somewhat different. Generally the roosters here don't get involved in chick raisng because the mothers won't let the rooster, or anyone else near the chicks...completely understandable.
However, I've seen 3 roosters here now care for chicks and one rooster die protecting them and they wern't even his chicks!
It would be great if you could document the process with pictures, dates and behavioural descriptions and maybe if a few more do as well, we could put this old wive tale to bed and make some real progress in understanding chickens.

You are so lucky to have such a nice roo. My otherwise gentle rooster attacks chicks even when they are his own babies with mother hens he has long since claimed as his ladies. :idunno:he

I am not even sure they were his the lady had about 10 roosters, that's why she was giving them away. I picked him because he was the smallest, prettiest one there plus he had a few battle scars. Thought he might like to have his own safe place to be big man on the block. Never dreamed he would take care of the chicks. I hope he continues to be this sweet and special.

That is so beautiful I love it. I've never had a rooster raise chicks solely but I have had my roos help the mama once she brings the new chicks out. They would watch the chicks while she dust bathes or find them food and stand nearby scanning the sky. I would love to have a roo be this way on his own! You have a special one there .

That is such an incredibly sweet story and pics!
You have a very special rooster boy. I hope he is always this good. :love

People (who don't have chickens) often think they're dumb animals....I think a lot of people could learn a few things from chickens, and animals in general. They're such beautiful little souls. Sometimes they astound me!

Conventional wisdom and much of the current science regarding chicken behaviour state the males have no part in raising chicks.......pffft! I've asumed that the people who have written such, have read what others have written and knocked up a quick paper for their thesis and probably wouldn't know a chicken if one fell on them.
My experience has been somewhat different. Generally the roosters here don't get involved in chick raisng because the mothers won't let the rooster, or anyone else near the chicks...completely understandable.
However, I've seen 3 roosters here now care for chicks and one rooster die protecting them and they wern't even his chicks!
It would be great if you could document the process with pictures, dates and behavioural descriptions and maybe if a few more do as well, we could put this old wive tale to bed and make some real progress in understanding chickens.

They of course have not been out in the yard yet being new to the yard I want them to be sure and understand this coop and pen is their new home. Living out in the country there are lots of predators to include Ferrell cats. While my small 6 lb dog aproched the pen and run the rooster tried to attack her to protect the babies I am sure he would do the same with the Ferrell cats. Once they are bigger all will have free roam of our gardens and property. I fell like he will continue to protect them. He really seams to care for them. I will do my best to get more photos and updates as we go, this is only their first week here.

Back
Top Bottom