Rooster raising chicks

Hello all. I just got new chicks this last weekend. They are about 4 weeks old. They came from a mixed backyard flock. The owner gave us a rooster whom looks to be 1 yr old but not sure. They are in the same coop and i was worried at first how he would be with the chicks. But surprise he is tending them! He sleeps in the nest with them protects them shows them how to scratch and they seam to love being with him. Anyone else had a rooster do this? Its just him and them no hen at all.

That is such an incredibly sweet story and pics!
You have a very special rooster boy. I hope he is always this good. :love

People (who don't have chickens) often think they're dumb animals....I think a lot of people could learn a few things from chickens, and animals in general. They're such beautiful little souls. Sometimes they astound me!

Hello all. I just got new chicks this last weekend. They are about 4 weeks old. They came from a mixed backyard flock. The owner gave us a rooster whom looks to be 1 yr old but not sure. They are in the same coop and i was worried at first how he would be with the chicks. But surprise he is tending them! He sleeps in the nest with them protects them shows them how to scratch and they seam to love being with him. Anyone else had a rooster do this? Its just him and them no hen at all.
That's cool.
@centrarchid has documented quite a bit about 'broody roosters'.

Cock/erels can be great around chicks, hopefully he won't try to protect them from you.
My current cockerel and I had to work that out a bit.

You can count yourself very lucky. You have got an excellent rooster!!!

Here he is today teaching them how to scratch in the grass i gave them and find the seed treats i threw in.

Attachments

• 20180927_091555.jpg
    20180927_091555.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180927_091701.jpg
    20180927_091701.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom