Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics

lexipoo

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
Nevada
My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen.19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks
DFCFA563-56EE-4904-BB5D-9C5F6A128A2E.jpeg

201497BE-D149-4DEF-96A8-69DD862A37F7.jpeg
C690F845-FFBD-41C2-AC9B-6B9D7A632497.png

Last edited:
View attachment 2549312View attachment 2549314My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen. 19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks & have never looked happier.View attachment 2549337View attachment 2549338
Does this rooster crow?
He actually screeches. It’s not pretty.. haha but he’s nvr laid an egg & he has waddles. Looks much different than my hen. I thought it was strange when he 1st started getting in the nest as soon as my hen would leave it.
I’ve had them both a little less than a year. I wasn’t sure who was who but I’m pretty confident he is a he. Is there a way to add videos?
Thanks for your response :)

Your "rooster" is 100% a hen.

She has small wattles, a small comb, a rounded crest, no streamer feathers or hard tail feathers, and a downward posture.

A rooster would have larger wattles, a large comb, a crest the flows backwards behind the comb, streamer feathers in the crest and hard, shiny tail feathers, and a more upward posture.

Silkie hens can take a while before they start laying. Hens can attack other hens and dominance mount them. They can also be really loud (I have quite a few noisy hens). Silkie hens will tag-team broody, so it is normal that your hens are brooding the chicks together.

Sure looks female. The wattles are visible on spice because that one isn’t bearded, but a rooster at this age should have very prominent comb and wattles, brighter coloring to them, and have some “hard” feathers showing. the crest on Spice is also very feminine. I would be quite surprised to find this bird is actually male... and not crowing? 🤔 you can post videos if you upload them to somewhere like YouTube, and then link to it here. :)

That’s not to say that roosters won’t have anything to do with chicks. A lot of us have had or still have roosters that take part in raising the chicks. I have a cockerel who has been heavily involved in the care of any chicks I integrate into the coop which makes things a lot easier, let me tell you! Haha.

I once had a kikiriki hen (very tiny, smaller than bantams), and she was forever broody. When her chicks reached about 3 weeks old she would habitually ween the chicks (a little on the early side), and her mate, Yahoo (was his name because of the sound he made when he crowed), would always take the 3-week olds under his wings at night for another week to ten-days. Precious.

Hmm, I don’t think he’s a he.
haha I know his actions are quite questionable. But I’m pretty confident that he is! :) I realize the rarity I’ve always heard that roosters play no part & sometimes can even harm or kill a new chick but he is so good with them. He is honestly more involved than she is right now. Really fun 2 watch. :)
Thanks for your response!

Sure looks female. The wattles are visible on spice because that one isn’t bearded, but a rooster at this age should have very prominent comb and wattles, brighter coloring to them, and have some “hard” feathers showing. the crest on Spice is also very feminine. I would be quite surprised to find this bird is actually male... and not crowing? 🤔 you can post videos if you upload them to somewhere like YouTube, and then link to it here. :)

That’s not to say that roosters won’t have anything to do with chicks. A lot of us have had or still have roosters that take part in raising the chicks. I have a cockerel who has been heavily involved in the care of any chicks I integrate into the coop which makes things a lot easier, let me tell you! Haha.
I’ve nvr heard of bearded b4. Ill have 2 research that. He doesn’t crow but he’s very noisy. Lots of screeching like he’s trying 2? Just took these pictures. Might be better. I do know that only 1 of them lays eggs. He was nvr around when she went inside the hutch. (Sorry I’m trying 2 reply 2 every one @ once) lol I’m new 2 this! I haven’t seen any long term mounting but he does pick & jump on her occasionally. So no in less it’s just really quick? haha
The other chickens I rehoused were quite some time ago. Once my hen went broody she stopped laying eggs all together for several weeks & was sitting on nothing so I purchased some fertile eggs online. As soon as I brought those in they were both on them 24/7.
ED04FF89-303D-47FB-9A6E-A7824F3EA690.jpeg
790BD90F-CE76-4999-8DEA-06E3EC30CC0D.jpeg

Attachments

• 43518A26-7271-454B-AFA4-9499AF0A351D.jpeg
    43518A26-7271-454B-AFA4-9499AF0A351D.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom