Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics

lexipoo

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
Nevada
My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen.19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks
DFCFA563-56EE-4904-BB5D-9C5F6A128A2E.jpeg

201497BE-D149-4DEF-96A8-69DD862A37F7.jpeg
C690F845-FFBD-41C2-AC9B-6B9D7A632497.png

Last edited:
View attachment 2549312View attachment 2549314My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen. 19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks & have never looked happier.View attachment 2549337View attachment 2549338
Does this rooster crow?
He actually screeches. It’s not pretty.. haha but he’s nvr laid an egg & he has waddles. Looks much different than my hen. I thought it was strange when he 1st started getting in the nest as soon as my hen would leave it.
I’ve had them both a little less than a year. I wasn’t sure who was who but I’m pretty confident he is a he. Is there a way to add videos?
Thanks for your response :)

Hmm, I don’t think he’s a he.
haha I know his actions are quite questionable. But I’m pretty confident that he is! :) I realize the rarity I’ve always heard that roosters play no part & sometimes can even harm or kill a new chick but he is so good with them. He is honestly more involved than she is right now. Really fun 2 watch. :)
Thanks for your response!

haha I know his actions are quite questionable. But I’m pretty confident that he is! :) I realize the rarity I’ve always heard that roosters play no part & sometimes can even harm or kill a new chick but he is so good with them. He is honestly more involved than she is right now. Really fun 2 watch. :)
What makes you think he is a rooster so confidently?

It can happen. Grey Junglefowl roosters play a much larger role with their young. I have always wanted a rooster that would do it, but no luck so far.
It’s the coolest thing! It was actually really funny & I thought @ 1st he was just copying her. I kept moving him & he would just throw a little fit & continue going back 2 the nesting box.
I figured he just wanted 2 stay close with her but he really decided 2 sit on those eggs 24/7 for 19 days straight. So I just let him be. Watching them both sitting on those eggs as they were hatching was really cool. She would rise up & he would rise up. Like she was teaching him. Communicating the entire time. So cute. :)
If I can figure out how 2 add a video I’ll do so.

Back
Top Bottom