Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics
I saw that you said that they'll be a year in April? Here's my non-bearded roo at 7 months for a bit of feature reference. Good luck sexing those new chicks!
View attachment 2564721
Here he is at 3 months, you can see his comb starting to get a decent size and early wattles
View attachment 2564725
Silkies are such hard little fellas to sex, but this is a great site to hear what other people think as early as 8 weeks!
Wow what beauties :) Yes my Spice definitely has a lot less plumage. I’m still unsure. I’m hoping for an egg or a crow 2 be the end of the debate. haha :) still getting mixed signals. Yes! I’m posting chick pics 2day so stinking cute! Thanks for sharing ❤️

Growing up we called hens like this hensters. When there is no one doing rooster duty, sometimes a female will step into the role, try to crow, stop laying, vocalizing more, becoming more aggressive, and even growing mini-spurs in some breeds.
But yeah, as someone who has raised a lot of silkies, those are both hens, I think. The males can take 7 months so show gender, though, but they also won't do female behaviours.
Hensters!!! I love that. Thanks so much for sharing ❤️

She says she previously had other silkies, and one of those, who could have been male, may have been the father.
After I rehoused the others, my pair both decided to sit on air for weeks at a time. Sometimes right on top of each other. Both screeching & inflating. lol
I continued collecting her eggs before she went broody. Sugar would lay them then leave & he would jump in there & sit on it. I’ve never seen spice lay an egg ever. Which started my suspicions. I felt bad for them so after they went on another egg strike, I purchased these eggs online.

AA740136-D08E-4513-ACF1-0C97F8106F85.jpeg
9647B44E-699C-488F-A029-EAD5182DB197.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom