rooster remorse

snugglepup

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
I took all the roos to the processor today. Including my older roo... who was named. He has been really rough with my hens, and lately had been getting aggressive with me too, he even chased the horse a couple times. I know the best thing for everyone (except him) was for him to go. He and all his sons (who were down right evil) are gone now. I still feel sad.

I will be picking them up on Wednesday. I can't decide if i hope I can tell which one he is or not.

Awww, my advise...dont even TRY to tell which one he was....just say a little thanks when you prepare them. Remember.....your flock is at ease now, with the meanies gone! And...your freezer will be a little fuller.

I know! *sniff*

Mostly I would want to know because most of them were 4-5 months, and he had nearly 2 yrs freeranging... so he'd be a soup chicken for sure.

RIP Derek. Hopefully Applechick and Paintchick's feathers will grow back now.

Quote:
I feel your pain. On Sunday we culled my favorite roo and another roo I liked a lot.
We eat our roos and extra hens. Plus we can't have crowing here.

We process them ourselves and I did the nasty deed. I'll spare everyone the details.

Don't get close with or name the ones you are going to eat!!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry your roo turned mean, but know that you did the right thing. Peace in the flock is manditory for good health, it's not just about a few worn out feathers.

Your right, he needs to be a slow cooked bird so hopefully you can tell, and by wednesday you might be more prepared to face that. If not just consider giving him away to someone who did not know him personally.

Back
Top Bottom